Cleaning an empty fiberglass wall and cement bottom pool

May 15, 2015
Boston, MA
Hi All!

I've emptied a 1969 neglected fiberglass wall and cement pool after confirming all pipes hold air (yay!). I have power washed the walls and floor with just plain water and am about to clean the cement bottom with a muriatic acid followed by a TSP solution cleaning to clear the acid.

I'm wondering if I can clean the fiberglass walls with the muriatic acid or if that should be avoided and if it should be avoided what products should be used to clean the fiberglass walls.

Any advice here will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Mark

Hi Melt in the sun

I'm trying to get a tenacious, but light coating of chalky residue off the walls and the floor and preparing to paint them. My pressure washer did a good job getting rid of algae and loose dirt, but this white residue is proving tougher to get off.

I believe the pool was previously painted with an acrylic paint, but I am considering using an epoxy paint if I can be sure the prep work is properly done.

Thanks for your time on this...

I am a VERY lucky man here, Richard! That pool is almost identical to mine...great thread and I can't thank you enough!

In return for your time, I'll take some pictures and post as I go along much like the thread you posted! Should I post them here at this thread, or at the specific forum for projects on this site?

Thank you very much!!

I am a VERY lucky man here, Richard! That pool is almost identical to mine...great thread and I can't thank you enough!

In return for your time, I'll take some pictures and post as I go along much like the thread you posted! Should I post them here at this thread, or at the specific forum for projects on this site?

Thank you very much!!
You'll probably have to open a photobucket account. You won't have enough storage space here to do it right. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72545-Posting-Photo-s-Tutorial

It might be wiser to create a new thread with a more descriptive title to make it easier to find later on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.