Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning an empty fiberglass wall and cement bottom pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning an empty fiberglass wall and cement bottom pool

Hi All!

I've emptied a 1969 neglected fiberglass wall and cement pool after confirming all pipes hold air (yay!). I have power washed the walls and floor with just plain water and am about to clean the cement bottom with a muriatic acid followed by a TSP solution cleaning to clear the acid.

I'm wondering if I can clean the fiberglass walls with the muriatic acid or if that should be avoided and if it should be avoided what products should be used to clean the fiberglass walls.

Any advice here will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Mark

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning an empty fiberglass wall and cement bottom pool

Welcome to TFP!
    What are you trying to get off the walls/floor?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Melt in the sun

I'm trying to get a tenacious, but light coating of chalky residue off the walls and the floor and preparing to paint them. My pressure washer did a good job getting rid of algae and loose dirt, but this white residue is proving tougher to get off.

I believe the pool was previously painted with an acrylic paint, but I am considering using an epoxy paint if I can be sure the prep work is properly done.

Thanks for your time on this...

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, welcome to TFP.

Sorry, I don't know beans about it. Good luck!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I know nothing about epoxy painting a pool, either, but I remember a thread where the end result looked awesome. Follow the link http://www.planethill.com/house/pool/pool.htm
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I am a VERY lucky man here, Richard! That pool is almost identical to mine...great thread and I can't thank you enough!

In return for your time, I'll take some pictures and post as I go along much like the thread you posted! Should I post them here at this thread, or at the specific forum for projects on this site?

Thank you very much!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Plumber2015 View Post
    I am a VERY lucky man here, Richard! That pool is almost identical to mine...great thread and I can't thank you enough!

In return for your time, I'll take some pictures and post as I go along much like the thread you posted! Should I post them here at this thread, or at the specific forum for projects on this site?

Thank you very much!!
    You'll probably have to open a photobucket account. You won't have enough storage space here to do it right. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...oto-s-Tutorial

It might be wiser to create a new thread with a more descriptive title to make it easier to find later on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!