Pool came with the house, half full with leaves and bugs - do we drain?

May 15, 2015
Ottawa, canada
We moves into our house during the winter and just took the cover off yesterday and what we found was really disappointing. It is half full of water which I know is likely the way to close a pool but that water is at least half full of leaves and other debris. It is an older above ground pool by Atlantic Pools and it has a 4 way vari flo valve filter (no idea what that means) made by Hayward Pool Products - says it's model sp 704 txc (if that matters). My plan is to attempt to remove the leaves manually with the skimmer as much as possible but should we drain the whole thing and scrub it then refill? What we would use to scrub it and what's the safest way to do so (get in the pool with sponges)? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP. You should be able to get a majority of the leaves out using a leaf net.

I also highly recommend ordering a recommended test kit such as the TF 100 I have linked in my signature.

Don't go to the pool store. In Pool School read the ABC's of Pool water chemistry. It is a great read.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Since you don't state the age of the pool's liner, the safest course would be to scoop out as much muck and debris as you can with a pool rake (deep net for scooping up leaves) and then put the pool through the SLAM process . If your liner is old and you drain the pool there is a chance it could tear and any liner new or old will shrink if left empty in the hot sun for more than a day. Since the cover is off go ahead and fill up the pool. Set the filter to backwash then turn on the pump. Once the water in the sight glass looks clear turn off the pump and set the filter to rinse. Run the pump for about a minute, more if the water in the sight glass is dirty. Turn off the pump, set filter to filter then turn on the pump and let it run. Check for leaks in the plumbing while the pump is on.

Look around the property and see if they left a pool brush, pool rake, and pool vacuum with skimmer plate and check their condition. Pool brush should have medium firm nylon bristles that don't shed or break off. Pool rake should have a net that is intact with no signs of dry rot. Vacuum hoses should be flexible without chips or cracks and seal well to the vacuum head and skimmer plate. The vacuum head should have medium firm bristles that don't break or fall out and no chips, cracks or signs or dry rot. The vacuum plate should also be free of chips, cracks, and dry rot.

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool. Sorry it's a mess, we can help.

No need to drain.
Order a TF100 XL option from tftestkits.net
Scoop everything you can out of the pool.
Fill it up. Test when you get the test kit and post results.

Read this, SLAMing Your Pool and get ready.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

You've been given excellent advice thus far. Welcome.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I've started reading through all your suggested readings and I tried to order the test kit XL version but realized they do not ship to Canada. Can anyone recommend a comperable test kit that I could either order online or get in store (I know the online way would likely be cheaper but the in store way may be much quicker for us).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.