Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool came with the house, half full with leaves and bugs - do we drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool came with the house, half full with leaves and bugs - do we drain?

We moves into our house during the winter and just took the cover off yesterday and what we found was really disappointing. It is half full of water which I know is likely the way to close a pool but that water is at least half full of leaves and other debris. It is an older above ground pool by Atlantic Pools and it has a 4 way vari flo valve filter (no idea what that means) made by Hayward Pool Products - says it's model sp 704 txc (if that matters). My plan is to attempt to remove the leaves manually with the skimmer as much as possible but should we drain the whole thing and scrub it then refill? What we would use to scrub it and what's the safest way to do so (get in the pool with sponges)? Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool came with the house, half full with leaves and bugs - do we drain?

Welcome to TFP. You should be able to get a majority of the leaves out using a leaf net.

I also highly recommend ordering a recommended test kit such as the TF 100 I have linked in my signature.

Don't go to the pool store. In Pool School read the ABC's of Pool water chemistry. It is a great read.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I got a heavy duty leaf rake from poolsupplyworld.com for around $15. Made a world of difference compared to getting leaves out with a skimmer. Shipping was very quick too.

30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, welcome to TFP! Since you don't state the age of the pool's liner, the safest course would be to scoop out as much muck and debris as you can with a pool rake (deep net for scooping up leaves) and then put the pool through the SLAM process . If your liner is old and you drain the pool there is a chance it could tear and any liner new or old will shrink if left empty in the hot sun for more than a day. Since the cover is off go ahead and fill up the pool. Set the filter to backwash then turn on the pump. Once the water in the sight glass looks clear turn off the pump and set the filter to rinse. Run the pump for about a minute, more if the water in the sight glass is dirty. Turn off the pump, set filter to filter then turn on the pump and let it run. Check for leaks in the plumbing while the pump is on.

Look around the property and see if they left a pool brush, pool rake, and pool vacuum with skimmer plate and check their condition. Pool brush should have medium firm nylon bristles that don't shed or break off. Pool rake should have a net that is intact with no signs of dry rot. Vacuum hoses should be flexible without chips or cracks and seal well to the vacuum head and skimmer plate. The vacuum head should have medium firm bristles that don't break or fall out and no chips, cracks or signs or dry rot. The vacuum plate should also be free of chips, cracks, and dry rot.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool. Sorry it's a mess, we can help.

No need to drain.
    Order a TF100 XL option from tftestkits.net
    Scoop everything you can out of the pool.
    Fill it up. Test when you get the test kit and post results.

Read this, SLAMing Your Pool and get ready.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

You've been given excellent advice thus far. Welcome.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I've started reading through all your suggested readings and I tried to order the test kit XL version but realized they do not ship to Canada. Can anyone recommend a comperable test kit that I could either order online or get in store (I know the online way would likely be cheaper but the in store way may be much quicker for us).

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, there is unfortunately a company up there that has an distribution agreement with Taylor for Canada. You'll have to find someone who carries the K2006, sorry.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Aww heck, sorry. Didn't notice you are in Canada.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is Canadian supplier for Taylor test kits, located in Cambridge, Ont.
    http://www.waterandice.ca/taylor-test-kits.html
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.