Can I accomplish any of this with Dichlor

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
Just got my kit, drained my pool 64% of the very high cya water, and now have the following readings:
FC:0
PH: 7.9
TA: 60
CYA: 20

I have list of things to add to water, can I accomplish any of this using my Dichlor granules I swore I'd never touch again?

Only reason I ask is since I needed to raise CYA?

3a64a64c9ce2e6907c33c1ef60d03576.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the full site version of Pool Math, once you have your pool volume entered, look at the bottom of the page (below the chart)

Effects of adding chemicals

You can use the pull-down to select dichlor and it will tell you the effect a specific amount will have on your chemistry.

The short answer is, Yes.

Remember that TFP is not necessarily about *not* using some of the available products. We are all about knowing what they do and what they will add to the water.

If you understand that the dichlor is going to add CYA along with FC (which it looks like you do) then all that is left is to calculate how much you can add to get closer to your goals.

Like you found on your app and chief suggested in PoolMath...you can get an idea of what the dichlor will add and make your dosing decision based on that. Be careful and don't overshoot your CYA. What a pain to have to remove water again to fix that! ;-)

Knowing what you're adding and how it affects your pool *is* the TFP way! :)

I was thinking the same thing with my new fill and was going to ask the same exact question :)

you have to love the feedback and knowledge on this site...

I didn't quiet have the effect I was hoping for.
PH: 8.2
TA: 90
CYA: 30

I added about 7 ounces of Dichlor with seemingly no effect.

Any suggestions? 7 more ounces of the Dichlor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't quiet have the effect I was hoping for.
PH: 8.2
TA: 90
CYA: 30

I added about 7 ounces of Dichlor with seemingly no effect.

Any suggestions? 7 more ounces of the Dichlor?

How the heck did the TA climb that much? The CYA should have only climbed by about 2, which is hard to detect n a test. The pH should have come down some. The FC not changing doesn;t surprise me - it is a consumable and you only added 3 ppm, which can disappear in a day no problem, even if there are no problems.

I suspect some kind of testing error, or you've been adding some hard fill water.

How the heck did the TA climb that much? The CYA should have only climbed by about 2, which is hard to detect n a test. The pH should have come down some. The FC not changing doesn;t surprise me - it is a consumable and you only added 3 ppm, which can disappear in a day no problem, even if there are no problems.

I suspect some kind of testing error, or you've been adding some hard fill water.

When you are testing for TA- do you count when you get the first hint of pink/red? If so, okay you could probably dial that back back to 70.

7 oz of dichlor in 10k of water would only raise CL by 2.9 which could be consumed pretty quickly, but there is no way it would raise the CYA by 10, or raise (not lower) the pH and TA like that.

There must be an error somewhere. Possible testing error?

I don't know guys maybe I have selective color vision issues. My wife thought the on the first test was 8.2 rather than 7.9.

As far as the TA? Honestly it's probably the same- first sign of solid pink-60

Update:
PH:7.5
TA:80
CYA:40
Just for kicks I did calcium test, because I notice original homeowner had calcium increaser in garage: 75

The pool is getting less green but not clear. Looks chalky light blue maybe. Has never had any chlorine reading though I had been adding Dichlor for 2 days, then switched to 8% bleach the last two days. I'm on day 4 of treating this drain and refill. The 25% that was left in the pool was pretty green.

I never thought calcium was something to worry about in a vinyl pool.

So do I add the recommended 286 oz of calcium increaser??

55ac27258ef53aae8b84a99cecb4e88a.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.