Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I accomplish any of this with Dichlor

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I accomplish any of this with Dichlor

Just got my kit, drained my pool 64% of the very high cya water, and now have the following readings:
    FC:0
    PH: 7.9
    TA: 60
    CYA: 20

I have list of things to add to water, can I accomplish any of this using my Dichlor granules I swore I'd never touch again?

Only reason I ask is since I needed to raise CYA?

Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100
    Waiting to stop relocating until I build my dream pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I accomplish any of this with Dichlor

Actually, I just looked at my iPhone app. Doesn't this answer my question that it would be okay to use just this once?

Intex 22' x 52" - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump - flow rate: 2,150 gal per hour
    TFTest Kits TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

If you look at the full site version of Pool Math, once you have your pool volume entered, look at the bottom of the page (below the chart)

Effects of adding chemicals

You can use the pull-down to select dichlor and it will tell you the effect a specific amount will have on your chemistry.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The short answer is, Yes.

Remember that TFP is not necessarily about *not* using some of the available products. We are all about knowing what they do and what they will add to the water.

If you understand that the dichlor is going to add CYA along with FC (which it looks like you do) then all that is left is to calculate how much you can add to get closer to your goals.

Like you found on your app and chief suggested in PoolMath...you can get an idea of what the dichlor will add and make your dosing decision based on that. Be careful and don't overshoot your CYA. What a pain to have to remove water again to fix that!

Knowing what you're adding and how it affects your pool *is* the TFP way!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, that's a perfect use for dichlor...adding FC and CYA to fresh fills.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

yup. As long as you understand what happens, then you are in GREAT shape to take total control of your pool, and your pocketbook!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

It will also lower the pH ... you have the perfect combination of needs.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I was thinking the same thing with my new fill and was going to ask the same exact question

you have to love the feedback and knowledge on this site...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

And unlike the pool store, pretty much everyone who replies all give about the same answer!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post

you have to love the feedback and knowledge on this site...
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

I didn't quiet have the effect I was hoping for.
    PH: 8.2
    TA: 90
    CYA: 30

I added about 7 ounces of Dichlor with seemingly no effect.

Any suggestions? 7 more ounces of the Dichlor?

TFTest Kits TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Are you using PoolMath to calculate how much to add?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by cfclay View Post
    I didn't quiet have the effect I was hoping for.
    PH: 8.2
    TA: 90
    CYA: 30

I added about 7 ounces of Dichlor with seemingly no effect.

Any suggestions? 7 more ounces of the Dichlor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How the heck did the TA climb that much? The CYA should have only climbed by about 2, which is hard to detect n a test. The pH should have come down some. The FC not changing doesn;t surprise me - it is a consumable and you only added 3 ppm, which can disappear in a day no problem, even if there are no problems.

I suspect some kind of testing error, or you've been adding some hard fill water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Are you using PoolMath to calculate how much to add?
    Sure, I had the picture in a previous post

TFTest Kits TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    How the heck did the TA climb that much? The CYA should have only climbed by about 2, which is hard to detect n a test. The pH should have come down some. The FC not changing doesn;t surprise me - it is a consumable and you only added 3 ppm, which can disappear in a day no problem, even if there are no problems.

I suspect some kind of testing error, or you've been adding some hard fill water.
    When you are testing for TA- do you count when you get the first hint of pink/red? If so, okay you could probably dial that back back to 70.

TFTest Kits TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

7 oz of dichlor in 10k of water would only raise CL by 2.9 which could be consumed pretty quickly, but there is no way it would raise the CYA by 10, or raise (not lower) the pH and TA like that.

There must be an error somewhere. Possible testing error?
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

I don't know guys maybe I have selective color vision issues. My wife thought the on the first test was 8.2 rather than 7.9.

As far as the TA? Honestly it's probably the same- first sign of solid pink-60

TFTest Kits TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

You are on the edge of getting some algae going in your pool. FC must stay above the minimum level for your cya at all times, Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Can I accomplish any of this with Dichlor

Update:
    PH:7.5
    TA:80
    CYA:40
    Just for kicks I did calcium test, because I notice original homeowner had calcium increaser in garage: 75

The pool is getting less green but not clear. Looks chalky light blue maybe. Has never had any chlorine reading though I had been adding Dichlor for 2 days, then switched to 8% bleach the last two days. I'm on day 4 of treating this drain and refill. The 25% that was left in the pool was pretty green.

I never thought calcium was something to worry about in a vinyl pool.

So do I add the recommended 286 oz of calcium increaser??

TFTest Kits TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

You don't need to worry about Calcium in a vinyl pool.

Odds are what happened was the previous owner went to the pool store for a free water test and they alerted him to his low CH and sold him a bunch. Ka-ching!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

20. Back To Top    #20

So hopefully now the CYA is where it should be the chlorine will hold not burn off so rapidly and do more of its job ?

TFTest Kits TF-100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast