Is proper ground wiring for pool light switch?

Nodnarb

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2011
Does using a wire nut to splice grounds in a pvc jbox with a run of the mill single pole switch an acceptable exception to the no splice code for pool light ground connections in 680.23(F)(2)(b)?

See image below for an example of what I am describing where the top image shows doing so with wire nut in switch jbox and the lower image shows a configuration that home run the ground to the panel then back to the switch.

So is the easiest way a home run to the panel then wire a separate ground to the switch jbox? If the answer is no the wire nut and splice, why would a timer or "snap switch" be different than a wire nut inside the single pole switch jbox?

The lines are 12AWG THHN/THWN in 1" gray pvc conduit. I can provide more detail about the rest of the configuration but usually when I type too much no one looks at them ;-)

Attachments

• splice-example.jpg
    splice-example.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 56
Wire nuts in an approved junction box are fine. The no splice is for the run of wire from the deck box down to the light. Actually, the no splice rule is in effect for any wire outside of an approved junction box

That is not true the code clearly says..

2) Equipment Grounding. The branch-circuit conductors to an underwater luminaire shall contain an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor. The equipment grounding conductor shall not be smaller than 12 AWG and it shall be without splice, except as permitted in (a) or (b). Figure 680-16 un680-16 680-23F2 01.cdr
(a) If more than one underwater luminaire is supplied by the same branch circuit, the equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted to terminate to a listed pool junction box that meets the requirements of 680.24(A).
(b) The equipment grounding conductor shall be permitted to terminate to the grounding terminal of a listed pool transformer that meets the requirements of 680.23(A)(2).

Can you do it and get away with it, yes, 99% of the installations likely do this.

I stand corrected, The connections need to be under a termination screw in the deck box. Don't recall ever seeing any done this way, but I don't work on may of these either. I will have to keep an eye out for this.

I really need to stop goofing off while in meetings at work

Thank you all for the replies. I am starting to think that the 99% doing it wrong but getting away with it is correct since I've asked this question numerous times in different forums over the years and keep getting no 100% agreement. Thanks again. What I amp contemplating if I need to contact my contractor to repull the ground or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.