How Much Chlorine Loss on a Sunny Day During SLAM?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
I think I recently completed the SLAM process. I met the three requirements (OCLT, <.5 CC, Clear Water), but then the next day I was down to about 10ppm in the early evening from 15ppm in the morning. It was a sunny day, and I from reading here, it sounds like the chlorine will drop more ppm when it's at a high level than it will when it at the normal daily level. Is 5ppm with the high level on a sunny day excessive? CYA is about 40. I just want to double check things, as it can be difficult for me to tell when the last hint of pink actually disappears- wondering if I gave myself an incorrect measure in the evening or morning test.

I also lost 5ppm the sunny day after my SLAM which worried me. After getting near to the recommended levels for my CYA, I'm loosing 2 to 3.5ppm depending on the clouds. I now just check my CL level in the early evening, which lets me know my starting point and then I add bleach in the proper proportion depending on how much sun is expected the next day.

Pools are so very different! Time, temp., sun, clouds, area, etc. It is really hard to predict what your pool will "eat" each day.

Test for a week. Write it all down. Try to test at the same time each day. Average it out and there you go. That is what I did to know how much chlorine to have on hand for each week.

Kim

I'm still fairly new here myself, but first question I thought of was.

Do you have any kind of cover on the pool during the day? Even a cheapy solar cover may help with the sun burning off during the days, and definitely help retain some of the heat at night.

No cover on it during the SLAM to prevent the high levels from damaging it. My question isn't necessarily related to how much chlorine my pool will use each week, it's more for this special case of what percentage of chlorine is lost at high SLAM levels. I realize each pool is different, but I still see people estimate 1-3ppm with normal chlorine levels. In the same posts, they say the higher the chlorine level, the higher the ppm loss will be. I'm wondering is anyone has a rule of thumb similar to the 1-3ppm for normal chlorine levels.

I also lost 5ppm the sunny day after my SLAM which worried me. After getting near to the recommended levels for my CYA, I'm loosing 2 to 3.5ppm depending on the clouds. I now just check my CL level in the early evening, which lets me know my starting point and then I add bleach in the proper proportion depending on how much sun is expected the next day.

Thanks! This is the type of comparison I'm looking for....

Reactions: Jennybird
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.