pool shocking

May 15, 2015
southern, ct
Hello Everyone,
I am new to TFP my question is on shocking pool upon opening for the season. I went to the pool store and explained that my pool was green, so they sold me 3 cases of shock and instructed to put all in at once and to leave the pump running so we did, it did turn the pool cloudy blue. when I check the chlorine levels in the morning there was some and when I come home after work all would be dissipated. After reading the threads on the forums about not having stabilizer and that what helps keep chlorine in pool just curious why they didn't tell me that I should have used a chlorine with a stabilizer in it if there is such a thing.

Thanks, Bobby G

Welcome to TFP.

If the so called shock they sold you was granular, it most likely contains lots of CYA (stabilizer). Also, your pool most likely has more than enough CYA already and they've just made it worse.

I suggest you get a good test kit and do your own testing and while you're waiting for it to arrive, read the ABC's of Pool Chemistry.

The liquid they sold you doesn't contain CYA and that's a good thing.

I don't recommend any stabilized chlorine, and I would strongly recommend against it when I don't know pretty certainly what the existing CYA level is. Pool stores are notoriously bad at testing CYA. Get a good test kit and test the CYA then make an educated decision about whether you need any or not. You simply need to SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.