Confirm gallons calculation

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
My test kits came in about a week ago, and I'd like to practice with tap water and a neighbor's pool. I know I don't need to know the gallons of my pool to practice with the tests, but I want to go ahead and be prepared with correct information.

I went to PoolMath and put in the information to calculate. You can see in my signature what I came up with.

My question is this: Am I calculating my gallons correctly? (see my signature)

When I calculate other newbies' gallons to check mine, some of the gallons are far off from what I come up with. Someone must be doing it incorrectly. Most likely me!

Thanks! Suz.

Well, 573 sf times 4.58 feet = 2624.34 ft3 = 19631 gallons. Is the entire pool a flat 4' 7"? Is the sunshelf included in the square footage? If yes, then adjustment in the volume will be required. Also need to add for the spa volume if it's all the same water.

Well, 573 sf times 4.58 feet = 2624.34 ft3 = 19631 gallons. Is the entire pool a flat 4' 7"? Is the sunshelf included in the square footage? If yes, then adjustment in the volume will be required. Also need to add for the spa volume if it's all the same water. Sorry,read 4 - 7 feet as 4' 7". Volume will be greater. You need an average depth to calculate.

Here I am!!! Not sleepin right now, will be later!!!

DanielJ: The depth ranges from 4' TO 7' (not 7 inches)--- wait a minute, did you just correct that? I swear it changed before my very eyes! I used the input boxes on the PoolMath. And thanks for all your questions. I will have to check on each of those, because as usual, I don't know!

Patrick: Thanks! In my signature, I have 26K gallons. It looks like my calculation is too high. I'll work on finding out the info Daniel asked about. Then I'll get back to you guys - next week. My tape measure guy (son) just left and won't be back until Monday!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did it about a month ago on a friends free form pool Patrick.
Pool store told her it was 27,000 gallons. I used the chemical method and calculated it to be closer to 21,500. Pool math confirmed that I was pretty close to right.

I ain't touching my pool!
My pH is rock solid. I havent had to add MA since last July! If I do the test on mine, I will likely screw up a good thing! But if my water ever stops cooperating, and I have to do something to it, measuring it is going to be the first thing I do.
Have you done it yet Dave?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.