Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confirm gallons calculation

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Confirm gallons calculation

My test kits came in about a week ago, and I'd like to practice with tap water and a neighbor's pool. I know I don't need to know the gallons of my pool to practice with the tests, but I want to go ahead and be prepared with correct information.

I went to PoolMath and put in the information to calculate. You can see in my signature what I came up with.

My question is this: Am I calculating my gallons correctly? (see my signature)

When I calculate other newbies' gallons to check mine, some of the gallons are far off from what I come up with. Someone must be doing it incorrectly. Most likely me!

Thanks! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confirm gallons calculation

Hang on...let me see what I estimate.

(Nought + nought equals....

Sorry, BRB in a bit.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, 573 sf times 4.58 feet = 2624.34 ft3 = 19631 gallons. Is the entire pool a flat 4' 7"? Is the sunshelf included in the square footage? If yes, then adjustment in the volume will be required. Also need to add for the spa volume if it's all the same water.
    18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, estimating a little and based on your sig, I'm estimating about 21.4k on the high side. What you get?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, 573 sf times 4.58 feet = 2624.34 ft3 = 19631 gallons. Is the entire pool a flat 4' 7"? Is the sunshelf included in the square footage? If yes, then adjustment in the volume will be required. Also need to add for the spa volume if it's all the same water. Sorry,read 4 - 7 feet as 4' 7". Volume will be greater. You need an average depth to calculate.
    18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton

6. Back To Top    #6

Where did Suz go? She's always running off somewhere.

She sleepin...

TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Here I am!!! Not sleepin right now, will be later!!!

DanielJ: The depth ranges from 4' TO 7' (not 7 inches)--- wait a minute, did you just correct that? I swear it changed before my very eyes! I used the input boxes on the PoolMath. And thanks for all your questions. I will have to check on each of those, because as usual, I don't know!

Patrick: Thanks! In my signature, I have 26K gallons. It looks like my calculation is too high. I'll work on finding out the info Daniel asked about. Then I'll get back to you guys - next week. My tape measure guy (son) just left and won't be back until Monday!
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe your avg depth you're using is too great. Very common error. I think I'm closer....not dead on, but closer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Oh, I definitely go with your answer! Thank you! Suz.

10. Back To Top    #10

Howdy.. using the pool calc. I got 25900 gallons. 35' X 18' X 5.5' (using avg for width and depth) if the freeform is even... what values did you use. so that's about 3465 cu feet and there are about7.5 gal to a cu foot.25987.5 close...
    Gunite/plaster pool w/spa built 1983, 17,000 gal. (depth 3' x 6' x 3') (37' X 16' +spa, stairs & large in-pool bench seat). Arneson (now Hayward) pool vac (rebuilt 3 or 4 times over 30 years), 350k BTU (nat gas) XE heater (in need of a serious herbal cleansing lol), 2HP Marathon pump & filter basket, DE filter NSS-48, air pump for spa bubbles, one skimmer plus in-line filter Hayward CANISTER W560 to the pool vac. Re-plastered May 2013 reinforced quartz (Marbletite) Diamond Bright. Test kit: Taylor K-2006; Bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Your sig states its a free form pool and not a normal shape. You can go here:
    http://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php
    Find your pool and click around the edges to get square feet.
    Square Feet x Average Depth in Feet x 7.48 = Total Gallons.

Try it out and see who got the closest. The winner gets a free speedstir from Patrick B?
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

lol...I'm sure he's got a nice watch to ship to the winner too
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

13. Back To Top    #13

And if all else fails and you're still confused on how many gallons you have, you can always do it chemically.
    (this is sooo cool!). Go ahead and call me a geek if you want to. I dont care!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ng-Pool-Volume
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

Have you done it yet Dave?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

15. Back To Top    #15

I did it about a month ago on a friends free form pool Patrick.
    Pool store told her it was 27,000 gallons. I used the chemical method and calculated it to be closer to 21,500. Pool math confirmed that I was pretty close to right.

I ain't touching my pool!
    My pH is rock solid. I havent had to add MA since last July! If I do the test on mine, I will likely screw up a good thing! But if my water ever stops cooperating, and I have to do something to it, measuring it is going to be the first thing I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Have you done it yet Dave?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!