my first pool party.....bad weather?! what to do...

Okay so Memorial Day weekend is the traditional time to open up the pool, right? I have planned a pool party/bbq for around 20 people. Now, I am in northern California. Normally our rainy season ends in March and by late April everything is dry as a bone! By late May, it is generally sunny with temps in the high 80s to low 90s, and my yard is really sunny so I thought it was a good time for a party. Anyway, the weather now is predicting cloudy skies and a high of 82! Not warm enough to swim at all imho. We do have a hot tub, but it is really small. You can only fit about 4 people, max. This is mainly a party for adults, with a few kids in attendance. What do I do if the weather sucks?!

I did not know where to post this so if it needs to be moved, Mods, I apologize!

What about some yard games - like bocce ball, horseshoes, washers, etc.? We have parties all the time (without the pool) seems they normally center around drinking :)

Make everyone sit in their cars with the windows up for 10 minutes, everyone will want to get in the pool after that. On a serious note do you have a pool heater? I also normally host a Memorial Day party and last year it was cold and wind, however the pool temp was around 90 so it all worked out. If you don't have a heater maybe do as Sunbaby suggested and have the party focus on other aspects beside the pool, there are a lot of good outdoor drinking games if your guest may be into that. Maybe a bushel of crabs and some beers.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my yard is too small for lawn games (like 80% of my yard is pool!). I can definitely set up some games inside though (we have lots of party games). We do have a solar coil heater and a solar blanket but it has not been warm lately (very weird for May!) so the pool temp last I checked was I only around 77! Ugh.

Also we pushed back the date of our pool remodel so on top of being cold it is kinda ugly lol.

Play it by ear. You can't trust weathermen. They are the only profession that I know of who can be wrong 80% of the time and stay employed. Also, kids don't care if the water is coolish....adults are the wussies (at least I am. My pool is 88 :p)

I too am okay with this unusually wet and cool May. W. Tx can be a brutal place to exist.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
82 sounds like perfect party weather to me :)
Kids will go in either way. Some adults like it and some dont. Usually parents of young kids will go in with them.

We have a much shorter swim season in NY, but have parties all summer long. Honestly, some adults will swim but most probably won't anyway. I guess age has something to do with that also. Or how drunk they are :razz:

If it doesnt rain, 82 is awesome. If it does rain, postpone it... Dont have expectations on people swimming. Just chill out, keep the drinks flowing, and have a great time.

And dont use pool noodles like this. Nobody will give you parent of the year honors for it ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.