my first pool party.....bad weather?! what to do...

We are planning a July 4th party. My invite indicates family friendly fun starting at 2, as the evening progresses it becomes more & more adults only. This way all my family and friends with kiddos can come, swim, have dinner & then leave the pool for the party animals!

We are planning a July 4th party. My invite indicates family friendly fun starting at 2, as the evening progresses it becomes more & more adults only. This way all my family and friends with kiddos can come, swim, have dinner & then leave the pool for the party animals!

That's funny because its pretty much how ours go also. I havent really done too many specifically adult backyard pool parties. Something about telling people to leave their kids home to come swim in our pool comes off sort of bizarre :)
But any time we do manage to get a group of people together without kids, it always turns out to be a million laughs.

Well Woody, are you sure? After all, you're gonna be invited to the next one!
But if you send the drone anyhow, be sure and put it on YouTube!

Looking at ALL next weeks forecast, that may turn out to be mid-July!

You got a sling blade I can borrow to cut the grass? Oh yeah, and rubber boots too!

I'll make us famous on YouTube!

I just want all these afternoon thunderstorms to stop so I can get in the pool, every day here lately it has been scattered storms, and if it is not raining then there are dark clouds and rambling nearby.

Have you ever invited way too many people to your pool party? If everyone who says they would actually show up, I will have 35 guests (40 if you count kids). Normally when I have parties not so many people RSVP! Then again this is the first time I have had a party since having a place with a pool. Any advice? My house is only 1900 square feet and my yard, apart from the pool itself, is not that big. Yikes! I would not have invited so many people if I thought they would all show.

Have you ever invited way too many people to your pool party? If everyone who says they would actually show up, I will have 35 guests (40 if you count kids). Normally when I have parties not so many people RSVP! Then again this is the first time I have had a party since having a place with a pool. Any advice? My house is only 1900 square feet and my yard, apart from the pool itself, is not that big. Yikes! I would not have invited so many people if I thought they would all show.
We used to throw two big pool parties every year, one on Memorial Day weekend and one usually after Labor Day and dubbed it "End of Summer Party". Our home is not much bigger than yours, (2200 Sq ft) and I would typically invite most of our friends. We would have cars lined up and down the street, and always warned neighbors ahead of time. The only issue we ever ran into was not enough places to sit. Probably had 40-45 people here at same time, but not everyone would show up at same time so that helped because you have some people coming early to leave early and then the all nighters who show up later and are in for long haul. Even if it rained we still had plenty of room for everyone to congregate inside, because there is always that group that doesn't care if its raining or not and will be in the pool as long as they have a beer and its not lightning out. I think you shouldn't sweat it. I think it will work it self out either way, I'm sure your guests are looking forward to it and won't care rain or shine! Oh and my yard is basically my pool and patio area as well.

We accidentally did this last year and had 90 people show up. House/pool/yard was packed but I think everyone had a great time. Just keep the alcohol flowing, and I can assure you nobody will be thinking there are too many people there. :splash:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
image.jpgMost people won't notice or care about needing a re plaster job.- if they do then they might be the wrong friends..

We have a pre Fourth of July party every year. 150-200 folks show up. BBQ, fireworks show(I put it on). Most folks don't swim- they may get pushed in but it's usually the kids until after the show then the kids go home and the liability waivers get signed! :rockon::cheers::cheers::wave::cop:
The yard is about 3/4 acre.

We feel your pain, we bought a solar cover a few nights before to help retain what warmth we had, pool has stayed around 78 even with clouds and rain and kids under 15 yo get in no matter what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the party go? I bet everyone had a great time.

In Sacramento also, first time pool owner (bought this house last June), and in this climate the solar blanket/cover does wonders. With just that (no gas or solar heater) our temp is up to 86, and was a very pleasant 84-85 over the weekend. It takes time and patience, a degree at a time; I put ours on in mid-April after the wisteria hanging over the pool stopped flowering (ugh). My experience is that it's critical to have it on at night and probably on the cloudy/windy days we've had, and on sunny calm days on or off doesn't make much difference. I had expected that with the hot summers here I wouldn't need a cover, but even last august we were sitting at 81-82 because it cools off so much at night; the cover helped a lot.

I do get full sun mid-day (some shade to the east and west), and it looks like you may have a lot more shade? What does it look like at, say, 1-2pm?

Honestly, from that picture your plaster looks in better shape than ours; enjoy it this summer!

Ahh jennifer.. 45 is about our neighborhood family average.. pretty much every weekend.. its a good number.

We start with family fun bout 2pm.. then adult time starts at 8! We have been lucky to always have a few older kids to split the kids up in 2 other houses and they have fun being together, watching movies, etc.

Benefits of us all living in same hood for sure.. check on em every so often and we all get to have fun! [emoji4]

22,000 IG Pool, Spa, Jandy 2.0 Stealth VS, LXi400N Heater, Jandy 460 filter, grotto waterfall/slide

Party went great! A few people begged off at the last minute so we ended up with about 38 people, give or take. The water was pretty cold though! It was 76 but that did not stop the kids (and a few adults) from swimming. And it did not stop my friends from forcibly tossing me in the pool, either! Lol. Thank goodness for the hot tub, because I was freezing! But others didn't seem to mind.

After a couple of weeks of higher temps (mid nineties to about 100) our pool is up to 86. Unfortunately our pool does get quite a bit of shade (full sun for maybe 3 hours); last year with no cover it never once got above 79, and was usually around 77.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.