Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first pool party.....bad weather?! what to do...

1. Back To Top    #1

my first pool party.....bad weather?! what to do...

Okay so Memorial Day weekend is the traditional time to open up the pool, right? I have planned a pool party/bbq for around 20 people. Now, I am in northern California. Normally our rainy season ends in March and by late April everything is dry as a bone! By late May, it is generally sunny with temps in the high 80s to low 90s, and my yard is really sunny so I thought it was a good time for a party. Anyway, the weather now is predicting cloudy skies and a high of 82! Not warm enough to swim at all imho. We do have a hot tub, but it is really small. You can only fit about 4 people, max. This is mainly a party for adults, with a few kids in attendance. What do I do if the weather sucks?!

I did not know where to post this so if it needs to be moved, Mods, I apologize!
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: my first pool party.....bad weather?! what to do...

What about some yard games - like bocce ball, horseshoes, washers, etc.? We have parties all the time (without the pool) seems they normally center around drinking
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

Make everyone sit in their cars with the windows up for 10 minutes, everyone will want to get in the pool after that. On a serious note do you have a pool heater? I also normally host a Memorial Day party and last year it was cold and wind, however the pool temp was around 90 so it all worked out. If you don't have a heater maybe do as Sunbaby suggested and have the party focus on other aspects beside the pool, there are a lot of good outdoor drinking games if your guest may be into that. Maybe a bushel of crabs and some beers.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my yard is too small for lawn games (like 80% of my yard is pool!). I can definitely set up some games inside though (we have lots of party games). We do have a solar coil heater and a solar blanket but it has not been warm lately (very weird for May!) so the pool temp last I checked was I only around 77! Ugh.

Also we pushed back the date of our pool remodel so on top of being cold it is kinda ugly lol.
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

5. Back To Top    #5

"seems they normally center around drinking"

What she said.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Just a question, when you guys do pool parties is bit mainly adults or kids who use the pool? Most of our guests are bringing their families, but the rest of us will be drinking for sure!
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

7. Back To Top    #7

You can't control the weather and your guests will know that as well. This could impact your attendance but you have another week before the event for the weather to change. I am personally loving the unusually cool May weather here in AZ!
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Play it by ear. You can't trust weathermen. They are the only profession that I know of who can be wrong 80% of the time and stay employed. Also, kids don't care if the water is coolish....adults are the wussies (at least I am. My pool is 88 )

I too am okay with this unusually wet and cool May. W. Tx can be a brutal place to exist.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

9. Back To Top    #9

How do you guys get your water so warm? Gas heaters?
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

10. Back To Top    #10

My pool is in the lower 80's ... heated by the good ol' Golden Orb
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ya you might be ok.

The weather channel website when predicting what's going on in a week keeps changing as it gets up to 3 days from the actual day.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbaby View Post
    What about some yard games - like bocce ball, horseshoes, washers, etc.? We have parties all the time (without the pool) seems they normally center around drinking
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

^^^ what sunbaby said ^^^ (minus the games)...

oh, and no kids allowed at my parties. I would be thrown in the clink for sure
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

Kids will be happy to swim in 77 degree water, at least most will. Remember official Olympic competition pools are at 78 degrees.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm partying in Longview!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Kids will be happy to swim in 77 degree water, at least most will. Remember official Olympic competition pools are at 78 degrees.
    Yeah but apparently after they all pee in it, it then raises it to 79
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferJuniper2 View Post
    How do you guys get your water so warm? Gas heaters?
    Yes, I'd get that baby up to 88.6, perfect for a cloudy day.

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Yeah but apparently after they all pee in it, it then raises it to 79
    Reminds me of that Southpark episode. "Your pH is off... It's all pee and no h"
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

18. Back To Top    #18

So pool party at Daves house in Longview??? Thats less than 180 miles from here, and with Texas speed limits thats what, 2.5 hours?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

19. Back To Top    #19

if it ever quits raining!!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    So pool party at Daves house in Longview??? Thats less than 180 miles from here, and with Texas speed limits thats what, 2.5 hours?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

20. Back To Top    #20

82 sounds like perfect party weather to me
    Kids will go in either way. Some adults like it and some dont. Usually parents of young kids will go in with them.

We have a much shorter swim season in NY, but have parties all summer long. Honestly, some adults will swim but most probably won't anyway. I guess age has something to do with that also. Or how drunk they are

If it doesnt rain, 82 is awesome. If it does rain, postpone it... Dont have expectations on people swimming. Just chill out, keep the drinks flowing, and have a great time.

And dont use pool noodles like this. Nobody will give you parent of the year honors for it

18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast