New pool installation

mattwm

May 15, 2015
MA
Hi All -

So I had a new 30x15 pool installed earlier this month and I'm in the process of running the electrical for it. Everything should be straightforward except for the bonding wire. The pool is sitting directly adjacent to a poured slab about 18" away from the pool. I know code requires an 8 AWG bare copper wire buried 18-24" from the pool, about 4 - 6" deep. The slab is 4" deep and sits on grade, and the space between the slab and pool is filled with crushed stone. I assume crushed stone wouldn't be considered proper buried substrate, so i'll have to dig into the soil below for the wire.

Now I imagine anyone tall enough and outside of the pool that wants to stick their hand in the water will most likely be standing on the slab and not the crushed stone. Do I need to bond the slab, too? If so, how? There is wire mesh below the slab but I don't think i'll be able to tap into it without breaking the concrete. Would this be considered the same as an IG pool with a concrete deck?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Matt

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to welcome you to TFP! Have you purchased a recommended test kit such as the TF 100 linked in my signature? It will be the best investment you make by taking control of your pool.

Yes, the slab should be bonded just as concrete decks around in-ground pools are. This problem has cropped up several times on the forum and there is no clear cut answer. Some people have managed to chip away a portion of an edge to expose the rebar/wire inside the concrete. I once had to saw cut a 1" deep groove into a pad to grout in a bond wire. you may or may not be able to get away without doing it. If you bury the bond loop as close to the concrete as possible the bond may take place between the dirt and the concrete enough that there will be no problem.

Yes, the slab should be bonded just as concrete decks around in-ground pools are. This problem has cropped up several times on the forum and there is no clear cut answer. Some people have managed to chip away a portion of an edge to expose the rebar/wire inside the concrete. I once had to saw cut a 1" deep groove into a pad to grout in a bond wire. you may or may not be able to get away without doing it. If you bury the bond loop as close to the concrete as possible the bond may take place between the dirt and the concrete enough that there will be no problem.
Thanks for the tips. I have a set of stairs going up to a deck on one side of the pool. I could saw cut a trench below them and bury the bond wire there, in addition to burying the loop right next to the slab. I also though about drilling into the side of the slab with copper lugs. Maybe it would be enough to keep a bond at least a couple feet in board.

Are you doing this for your own safety reasons? Or is your county/city requiring it, and therefore will be inspecting it? If the latter, then I would talk to the inspector and ask what he expects to see. Ultimately, no matter what is deemed safe by someone else, it won't make any difference if it isn't what will pass his inspection.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.