The 1st time I SLAM'd

Apr 29, 2015
MD
So I've determined that I need to SLAM (as discussed here).

Starting Point:
FC 3.5
CC .5
CYA ~80 +/- 10
TA 80-90
PH 7.5/7.6
CH 225 [I wonder if this is why I have white streaks coming off a lot of the tiling/stone...??]

I added 6 jugs of Clorox (121oz 8.25) this morning - I think this should bring the FC up to ~28.

My plan [please jump in if I'm missing something]: Let the filter run all day, check the FC and CC tonight after sun down and then re-check in the morning to compare. [Does the filter need to run all night as well??]

If FC has dropped by more than 1, then add enough clorox tomorrow AM to get it back up to ~28. Repeat.

Advice highly appreciated.

Thank you

You would be better off lowering your CYA to 30-50 range. Your PH needs to lowered too before you start slamming. Once your FCis over 10 PH will give false readings.

- - - Updated - - -

Ideally if you are able to test more often in the beginning it will move things along faster. If not then it is fine to test. Twice a day.

You would be better off lowering your CYA to 30-50 range. Your PH needs to lowered too before you start slamming. Once your FCis over 10 PH will give false readings.

- - - Updated - - -

Ideally if you are able to test more often in the beginning it will move things along faster. If not then it is fine to test. Twice a day.

Oops, I forgot to mention that it's a saltwater pool (I've updated my signature). According to this chart, I think CYA of 70-80 is ok?

The PH was 7.5-7.6 (and I already added the Chlorine) - maybe I'll add a little Muriatic Acid after work? On the SLAM page, it says 7.2-7.5 is ideal.

Thanks!

It is safe to lower CYA when SLAM is in progress as you do not use the SWG during a SLAM. It is fine you already added. I am not sure about adding MA once your numbers are above 10FC since you cannot test it to make sure you did not drop too low. I would not worry about it for now.

Although you can SLAM at 70-80, it takes a huge amount of FC. I would urge you to get to 40, 50 at the highest. But if you would rather haul and buy more Bleach, that is entirely your choice. pH should always be adjusted prior to raising FC level for SLAM.

Although you can SLAM at 70-80, it takes a huge amount of FC. I would urge you to get to 40, 50 at the highest. But if you would rather haul and buy more Bleach, that is entirely your choice. pH should always be adjusted prior to raising FC level for SLAM.

Thanks Patrick. If the option is to either drain the water and refill - or buy/haul more bleach, I'll go with more bleach. We're on a well and it has a relatively low yield. I bought the bleach in 3 packs at Costco, price is reasonable. Next time I'll lower the PH first - I thought my starting level was ok.

It's fine where it is. I totally understand the well. Mine isnt the best either, so just let us know how to help. Lisa (AZgirl) will likely be helping you a lot. She is a relentless SLAMMER, so she knows how it's done.

Measured when I got home this evening - around 530.

FC 14
CC <.5

Not sure if I should bring back up to 28? Or measure when dark and then compare tomorrow morning. Should filter run all night?

Thanks for helping me learn how to SLAM.

During a SLAM the goal is to keep you chlorine level at slam level until you pass all three tests.
Clear water
Pass oclt
No CCs

So yes. You need to bring FC up. I'm right there with ya. Cya is 70 and I'm slamming now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AimeeH is correct. You need to keep it at SLAM FC levels. It is probably already mentioned, but is your pool clear? Your.5 CC is considered passing, but it will likely drop to 0 if you let it.

Yes, pool is clear.

During a SLAM the goal is to keep you chlorine level at slam level until you pass all three tests.
Clear water
Pass oclt
No CCs

So yes. You need to bring FC up. I'm right there with ya. Cya is 70 and I'm slamming now.

Got it. I added 4 more jugs of clorox in an attempt to get FC up from 14 to ~28.

Seems I over shot it as I just measured tonight (~3 hours after adding the bleach) and it was 35.

Will check again in the morning to see how far the 35 comes down.

14 jugs so far - I think I'm gonna need more... Last night the FC dropped from 16 to 3.5 this am.

Thank you again for the help.

Quick Question - is it critical that the pump run all night? I think our pump is quite oversized. 2hp. Turns over the pool in maybe 3.5 hours I'm guessing.

Success!

Measured FC at 630am ~34.

Turned the SWG back on - will have to play with the % and pump run time now that the chemistry should be good (or on its way).

About how long does it take for the FC to drift down to its normal level? When can I proceed with water tests that aren't thrown off by the SLAM process? Anything else I should be doing/checking?

Thanks again for the help - happy to have found this resource.

Wait until your FC is below 10 fr accurate ph readings is all. You didn't mention your cc reading -- was it below .5?

Just so you know in case you ever have to slam again (hope not :) -- the slam method requires checking your FC at least every few hours and continually bringing the FC back up to target much more frequently in the beginning than what you experienced/reported this time. Fortunately, you must have caught a problem early, which is awesome!

Enjoy your clear, clean pool now ;)

Wait until your FC is below 10 fr accurate ph readings is all. You didn't mention your cc reading -- was it below .5?

Just so you know in case you ever have to slam again (hope not :) -- the slam method requires checking your FC at least every few hours and continually bringing the FC back up to target much more frequently in the beginning than what you experienced/reported this time. Fortunately, you must have caught a problem early, which is awesome!

Enjoy your clear, clean pool now ;)

Thanks! Yes, CC was 0 (no change when I added the drops).

Should I turn the swg off until the FC gets down to normal ranges?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.