Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stone and Saltwater

1. Back To Top    #1

Stone and Saltwater

We are planning on doing a 4' elevated waterfall diving platform and I am wondering if there is a certain type of stone we should look for. I would think that stone would be better than concrete for this application since the pool will be saltwater but I could be way wrong.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stone and Saltwater

I was told that most of the stone that is sold for exterior application is fine for pools as long as it's natural stone and as long as you seal it every few years.

I have sandstone ledger raised 3' above my waterline with water features inside that area. I have travertine deck. I have quartz on my surrounding retaining walls. I was told that the quartz was optional, but the rest would need to be sealed, but I just spray the sealer on all of it, it's really not too time consuming, I sort of enjoy doing stuff like that.
    13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread

3. Back To Top    #3

Corleone, your build turned out amazing! My wife and I looked at it the other day and were both in awe. I hope that you and your family have many years of enjoyment out there and I greatly appreciate your thoughts on my question.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerWing View Post
    Corleone, your build turned out amazing! My wife and I looked at it the other day and were both in awe. I hope that you and your family have many years of enjoyment out there and I greatly appreciate your thoughts on my question.
    Ohh thanks!!

We surely will I think. We spend more time at home then the average family because we have a child with a disability, so we just decided to put our savings into having a cool backyard so we could entertain and bring the fun to him. It's been a really fun build, but still lots of loose ends to tie up, which I've decided to do myself rather than hire subs to do it. I get a little more enjoyment in being physically involved, but the downside is that it's taking forever

Good luck with the project, I'll be checking in on it, I personally love the stone look which is why your thread caught my eye. 4' raised gives a lot of surface area for it, should be incredible!
    13K Gallon IG Pool/Spa -- First time pool owners -- Completed in 2015 Caribbean Blue Pebble Tec Pentair 4000 Series 47 sq. ft. D.E. Filter Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump Pentair SWG Jandy LXi Heater 400,000 BTU S.R. Smith Typhoon Slide Pentair LED 12v Lights Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner TF-100 Test Kit
    Our Build Thread