Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 Speed Pump and SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

2 Speed Pump and SWG

I upgraded my pump this year to a Hayward 1HP SP15922S 2 speed pump. On low speed, the water does not fill the salt cell completely. It leaves the top 1/4 of the cell without water, exposing the very top of the cell plates to no water. This of course turns on a flow light on the salt system. On high speed, the cell is full, no issues. Any ideas? I'm still in my return period and can return the pump if I'm not going to be able to take advantage of the power savings but saving money would be nice!
    24' X 54" Sunburst by Artesian all Resin Above Ground ~ 13,600 Gallons ~ SR Smith Rouge GrandRapids Slide ~ 1 HP SP15922S Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump ~ Hayward 27" S270T Pro Series Sand Filter ~ Compupool CPX24AG ~ Dolphin Supreme M5 ~ TF-100 and SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 Speed Pump and SWG

I'm still considered a novice, and someone else can certainly answer. I have a 1.5 hp 2 speed. I think the piping on your system may help with the flow. I installed a flow metewr to help me determine what I am getting. If you are close, then a little tweeking may put you over the gpm desired. I ran 2" pvc for an 18' x 54" AG pool. As little elbows and turns as possible. I run the low speed all summer with no issues. If I put it on high speed, it would be a whirlpool with lots of turbulence. Not sure if you can or want to do the changes, if you aren't piped, but that may do it. My pump uses 300+ watts of electricity on low. I run it all summer. Good luck.

Wow, 24' . Not sure if it's strong enough. I'll wait for others to reply. Also, I have a cartridge filter, so that may change things. Not sure. I do have a SWG.
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Others on the forum have complained about the same issue with Compupool SWGs. The design (upside U) is not really appropriate for very low flow rates because the gas gets trapped and is not easily evacuated.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a thought. What if you run it on high to get the air bubble out, then switch it over to low? I am curious since I just installed a SWCG, on a two speed pump. I bought the Si-30, and it is not see-through, so I have no clue what is going on inside the cell.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

5. Back To Top    #5

The hydrogen gas generated by the cell will still collect in cell and eventually shut the cell down.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the Compupool CPX unit which allows for the cell to plumbed straight. I started out in high speed and the cell was full of water. When I left for work I switched it to low speed. When I returned, I found the low water in the cell. My plumbing is all 1 1/2 hard plumbing.
    24' X 54" Sunburst by Artesian all Resin Above Ground ~ 13,600 Gallons ~ SR Smith Rouge GrandRapids Slide ~ 1 HP SP15922S Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump ~ Hayward 27" S270T Pro Series Sand Filter ~ Compupool CPX24AG ~ Dolphin Supreme M5 ~ TF-100 and SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

Can you post a picture of the setup?
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a Hayward T-15 cell and my pumps runs on low most of time. I have never had this issue. One possible solution is to place a ball valve on the discharge after the cell. Adjust (close) it until the problem goes away. On high you will have to open the valve.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

9. Back To Top    #9

How would that help? That would only reduce the flow rate and make it worse.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

I'll take pictures of my setup and post them.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is my current setup.

This is the cell with the pump running at high speed.

This is the cell with the pump running at low speed for about 20 minutes.

12. Back To Top    #12

I would re-plumb it so the cell is vertical. Problem solved.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

This must be an issue with the Compupool CPX series. I just read http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...all-and-Review and it looks like he had to turn his cell upside down to run on low speed.