Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pouring method

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Pouring method

I have been slowly pouring the 12.5% directly if front of a jet return while filter is on. You can see the liquid chlorine shoot down to the deep end near the main drains as the jet is pointing down.

Q: Is filling up a 5 gallon bucket with pool water and adding liquid chlorine in 2 steps a safer way of pouring? I have been adding 15 ounces in each bucket, and a total of 30 ounces daily. It really is not that much work. My levels have been consistent. The CYA has reached a level of approximately 50 and I increase the daily FC to 6 ppm, with about 2 ppm drop, therefore needing approximately 30 ounces daily based on the size of my pool.

Q: Also, it is safe to shut down your main drains and pull from the skimmers for a few hours per day to collect the debris on the surface of the water? With the main drains on, I am finding that a lot of surface debris is being pulled down to the bottom of the pool. I am finding that this helps. There is only about one more week of debris falling off the trees here in NJ. The time schedule would be about 2 hours off and 8 hours where both the main drains and the skimmers are all functional.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pouring method

You can add chlorine in that way if you like or you could also manually brush the bottom area below the return after adding bleach to make sure it doesn't settle. I don't have problems with the bleach settling but I usually brush the bottom of the pool below the returns where I add bleach.

It's perfectly fine to run the pump with the MD off, many pools do not have main drains. Since you have one, I would run at least once per day with the MD open to prevent stagnant water and allow chlorine circulation through the MD plumbing run.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I do not believe the liquid chlorine will be pushed all the way down to the main drains. The deep end is 8 feet. You can see the chlorine move down a few feet, but then the cloud of chlorine kind of disappears. I also sometime pour in front of 2 separate jets as a precaution.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

4. Back To Top    #4

There's nothing wrong with diluting the bleach the way you're doing it. I don't, just because the less I handle it, the less likely I am to end up with white spots on my clothes. Just pour slower into the return stream.

I set my main drain up so that it just barely affects the flow in the skimmer. Shut off the drain, watch the turbulence in the skimmer well, and then crack the main drain until you start to see a difference. That's it. Sometimes I'll go full drain when I'm brushing, just to pull the cloud of dust into the filter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I like to do the 80/20 split on 80% skimmer and 20% drain. So, if my skimmers gets clogged with tree stuff there is still water flow to the pump.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach