Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hepl on salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Hepl on salt

Ok so I need to salt my pool I've been looking online and I see pool salt and water softener salt both are pure salt so what is the difference beside the price. Will water softener work I ask cause some time the pool salt is not available but the softener salt is plus a lot cheaper.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hepl on salt

It absolutely will work perfectly and is a better choice because of price. "Pool Salt" costs more because it says pool salt. Its finer, (pulverized) but that's all.

The only catch is to make sure it doesn't have Iron remover, or resin cleaner labeling on the bag. We usually suggest SOLAR crystals, but any will do. Look for purity, and it will be the same as pool salt.

Welcome to the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Recommended Pool Chemicals will tell you what to use to adjust what and how to add it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool thanks. So basically it will take longer to melt into the water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, but even then it isn't long.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by zzrguy View Post
    Cool thanks. So basically it will take longer to melt into the water.
    If the water is clear and balanced and just awaiting salt, slow melting is not always a bad thing. Are there any children in the house? Hold Diamond Day, where you dump it in and let the kids swim through clouds of crystals they scoop up. They'll mix that salt better than any pump or brush.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a slow leak and the pool was empty this years so I needed to fill it the Pool Guy said don't add salt till we find the leak so I didn't but have been adding shock well the pool got a little funky after the little heat wave we had last week so I'm sick of adding shock so I just want the SWG to be up and running so I can stop throwing money in the pool. I've gotting the cost of chemical down to $250 a year on average to up and run the pool for the year and just with Shock this year I'm over 125.

What do you guy usually spend a year my pool is 16 by 42with a 20ft long 12ft deep end