Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: From sludgy coffee to being able to see bottom & question about Intex SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

From sludgy coffee to being able to see bottom & question about Intex SWG

This is our 3rd year with a 14x48 Intex pool. We left it up through the harsh NY winter (half in hopes it wouldn't make it though...) but it seems to have held up fine. Last summer stunk because we only had a few weeks of swimming weather where the pool stayed warm enough, so I got lazy adding bleach and ended up water issues. The first year we had it, most of the summer was very warm and our oldest son swam constantly and upkeep was easy.

We had so much snow at the end of winter, the pool went from having a couple inches of water in it to being half full. Started filling with the hose last week to get the filter going to see if we would need to drain it and start over. Last Friday night we hooked up the sand filter and turned it on and I added a pack of HTH super shock to start. The pictures are from before we started filtering, then on Sunday and the last picture was yesterday (Thursday). Still a bunch of crud that settles to the bottom (the pollen on the trees blowing isn't helping it), but no more microscopic tadpoles things. Just wanted to "brag" a little as I've been reading here since we got the pool and the tips have helped a lot.

Anyway, even though I'm not sure we are committed to keeping up with a pool once this one bites the dust, is it worth it to invest in an Intex SWG? I can get a 15,000G one for about $80 right now. I'm thinking it might make upkeep easier and even if this is the pool's last year, there should be a little resale value via Craigslist along with our sand filter. Any opinions?

IMG_3909.jpgIMG_3912.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: From sludgy coffee to being able to see bottom & question about Intex SWG

Welcome to the forum Freckle!!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Get the water clear and balanced and then, heck yeah, go salt. The SWG will be unable to generate enough chlorine fast enough to kill off an algae bloom and clear the water, but that'll be the end of lugging bleach or buckets of powders.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Here's the most recent pic from yesterday. It wouldn't let me add all of them and then the thread had to be approved... It's almost clear, which honestly I'm amazed. I was half expecting to find a dead body of something in there, but there was just lots of leaves. Our yard being surrounded by hundreds of years old maple trees is what makes me feel that a more permanent pool probably isn't going to happen.

I think I will get it. Our youngest is nearly 3 and would probably enjoy being able to go in this year too and the water would be easier on his skin/eyes I assume.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, TFPC water is silky and nice! Easy on the skin and the eyes. Good work!

jblizzle says we couldn't have cleared up your pool without you!

We have zillions of trees too and punted the Intex and built a pool. No regrets on that. We run our VSpump a lot on low rpm to keep the tree stuff skimmed off the surface and off the bottom.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP. Nice job getting the water cleared up. Do you have a vacuum that you could vacuum the bottom?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    Welcome to TFP. Nice job getting the water cleared up. Do you have a vacuum that you could vacuum the bottom?
    I have a small hose vacuum floating around somewhere that I need to look for. That's my next order of business. It'll be a while before there's any swimming though. The water is currently an icy 52 degrees. Last weekend my husband got in with his waders to finish fishing out the leaves and mop up the bottom where leaves had been decomposing. I ordered the SWG from Amazon Warehouse and it should be here Tuesday. I noticed they had gone down on Walmart.com to $99 for both sizes and then looked on Amazon and they had a handful in the Warehouse even cheaper.

8. Back To Top    #8

Great job!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Congrats on getting your water clear. We had a ABG several years ago in Kentucky and the maintenance was a nightmare. We did not know about this site and could not keep the water in balance to save our life.

Last year, we bought a new 18x9x52" Intex with a SWG. We learned about this site and life was heavenly. Our pool was truly a TFP. In fact, I am installing a widemouth Heyward skimmer this weekend.