Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unsure of What this pipe is for by filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Unsure of What this pipe is for by filter

Not sure what this unused unconnected pipe is for. Any body have any idea? It has the red circle around it.

[IMG][/IMG]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unsure of What this pipe is for by filter

Do you have a floor drain?
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I just moved into the house.. pool is too dark to see the bottom, But i believe there is one.

4. Back To Top    #4

That one has me stumped.

What's with the rope?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

It appears to be teed into the suction side. Do you have two skimmers?

The other possibility is that someone upgraded and added a second main drain and that's where they tapped in. It does look like sort of an afterthought.

Currently that side of the suction is shut off. Move that valve 180 degrees and see if the flow from the skimmer stops but the pump keeps working. That will indicate there is a main drain down there. It might help you clear things faster if you have some suction down below.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I do have two skimmers, I have the main drain closed and skimmers open because I believe the main drain is clogged with so much debris at the bottom of my pool. My filter stops shooting out the returns after about a hour., and i have to back wash to get them going again

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I don't see it teed to the suction sideLooks like a spa air line to me. Is there a spa?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

8. Back To Top    #8

no spa.

9. Back To Top    #9

It looks to be an air vent and if you don't have a spa, it could be a SVRS line for the main drain. If the main drain gets blocked, this line will allow the pump to suck air and lose prime so the main drain no longer has any pull. Is the main drain line right behind it?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater