Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Feature Plumbing Question and Freezing - with PICS

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Feature Plumbing Question and Freezing - with PICS

I am going to build a three tier water feature with a 2' LED lit water fall in the middle and on each side a 1' LED lit water fall. I beleive that making with masonry block and then facing ot with a faux stone will be the simplelist approach. All three water falls together are rated at 4000 gallons per hour or about 66 GPM, so I am debating on running 2 1/2'' lines then or stepping up to 3''? Any suggestions? But my real question is how do I install the plumbing so that I dont have the supply lines freeze in the winter? While I am asking that question I am also installing my supply and return lines to the pool this weekend, do I need to slope these lines toward the pool so when I drain the pool below the skimmer in the winter they will drain into the pool? Want to only do this once.

thanks

Phil

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Feature Plumbing Question and Freezing

to the top

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe a pic will help

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Water Feature Plumbing Question and Freezing - with PICS

I don't winterize my pool so no experience with this but here are my thoughts. I don't see how you can plumb a waterfall line and have it drain toward the pool because it will have to go up to make a waterfall. Seems like it would work better to have drain back toward the equipment pad, but I don't know how your ground slopes if your pump is above or below the waterline, etc.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Any ideas on how to plumb my water falls so that I can either drain them or how do I prevent the lines from freezing. I plan on making my coping top removable so that I can remove the actual waterfall annually just not sure on the feed water line.???.

7. Back To Top    #7

Blow out the lines....
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover