Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to trouble free, need advice

1. Back To Top    #1

New to trouble free, need advice

I have owned this home and maintained pool for 4 years now. After reading through this website, I want to switch over from pool store to trouble free. I found a rather large dead bird in my basket this morning (pigeon I think?). My pool is cloudy and after taking water to pool store for testing, they said my "phosphates" were incredibly high (2500 I think) and that I had 0 fc. They attributed the high phosphates to the bird, since my water is pretty new. I resurfaced this last October. I told them it was cloudy and they recommended this super shock, three pounds of it since the algae was forming. Here's the product: http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-p...-plus-bags.htm. So I dumped that in and have the pump running 24 hours. After that, he said to dump a whole gallon of the phos-free in there over the course of three days. After reading much of this website, I am now skeptical. The only thing I've done is the 3 lbs of power powder shock they told me to do. I ordered one of the test kits from this site tonight but don't have it in hand to run my own tests. What would you guys do? Thanks for any advice, can't wait to get my kit and go legit!
    Matt
    14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to trouble free, need advice

Good job! The test kit will save you SO much money AND your pool will look better than it ever has before!

For right now take the phos-free stuff back to get your money back.

Shop around and find your best place to get bleach/chlorine. Some find Walmart greater value is the their best bet. Other get it at their pool store. It needs to be easy and current. Lowes and Homedepot do NOT tend to have newer stuff so avoid them. Oh and Sam/costco tend to have good prices as well.

Get some bleach and add 1/2 gal a day for right now.

When your test kit gets here let us know and we can go from there!

WELCOME! to the best pool place on the internet!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Still a rookie, but one thing I have learned and the reason I searched for help was because Phos anything and pool store advise is like the grand illusion.
    IG Vinyl -30,000 (20x40)
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter/Hayward rebuilt 1 HP Pump
    AutoPilot DIG-220 RC52 SWCG
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Aquabot Bravo

4. Back To Top    #4

I went down the phosphate path last year before seeing the light. It killed my cartridge filter. Ended up buying new cartridges.

I second the motion of taking the phos-free back.

30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

5. Back To Top    #5

HI Meyers,
    welcome to TFP!

You came to the right place.

While you're waiting for your test kit, make youself familiar with a couple of articles in Pool School. Click the big button at top of the page and start with the ABCs of pool chemistry.

also, play around with Pool Math tool a little bit and learn how to use it.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

The TFP recommended levels are tried and proven. If you will maintain your water to these parameters, you wont have any problems
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...mmended-levels

To keep your pool free of algae, the of course you have to have some FC. The question is how much? Right? not to worry. The FC is based upon how much CYA you have. Here is the FC/CYA chart
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

Once you get your test kit, post up a full set of test results and we'll go from there.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you Kim! When I add this bleach, how long should I run the pump? Thanks!
    14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

7. Back To Top    #7

Dave, thanks for the tips. I'll start reading up and doing some of the math you recommend. Should I post my results to this thread and keep it going or start a new one? Thanks again.

8. Back To Top    #8

I will take the Phos back and start down the FC path. Thanks again!

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

Run the pump for at least 30 mins whenever you add anything to the pool. I add my bleach at dusk so it can work without any worries about the sun.

Let us know as soon as your test kit comes in!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you Kim. Also, new factor to consider is that it just down for a half an inch of rain. Anything else you think I need to do?

12. Back To Top    #12

Don't worry about rain. It will not impact the balance that much.

Rain can increase your PH due to the aeration of the water and of course adding "fresh" water will dilute the water a tiny bit but not really enough to worry about.

When you get your test kit you will be able to see for yourself how your pools acts in the rain. Every pool is different!

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

In addition to,the reading Dave gave you, I'm going to give you an additional article - how to SLAM your pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

A SLAM is how we handle things like yours, algae, cloudy water and the like. We raise the pool chlorine to shock level until by accurate testing we verify that everything I the water is dead. That is the basis of our system, accurate testing and only adding what your pool needs, when it needs it.

When you take the PhosFree back I probably wouldn't get into a discussion with them about the TFP methods. It is so,contrary to how they are trained that they really don't understand.

There is almost always someone here to answer questions, so don't be afraid to ask.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Awesome thx everyone. Question: it looks like during maintenance I'm supposed to be raising fx 1-2ppm a day. Does that mean I am adding chlorine every day?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by myers2115 View Post
    Awesome thx everyone. Question: it looks like during maintenance I'm supposed to be raising fx 1-2ppm a day. Does that mean I am adding chlorine every day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yup, you pool eats every day.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

16. Back To Top    #16

You will see how this works when you start running your own tests. We have a recommended range for your pool derived from your test results, and as long as you stay within that range everything should be fine. For example, lets say your range for FC is 4-8ppm. Day 1 you test at 4ppm so you use PoolMath and add enough bleach to hit the top of your range, 8ppm. Next day you test 6ppm Still within range so you choose not to add any bleach. Day 3 you are back at 4ppm so you bump up to 8ppm again. Depending on your pool you may not have to add bleach every day, but you do need to test FC and pH every day until you really know your pool's habits.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Update: still waiting on my test kit I took everyone's advice and return the phos 0remover and just added liquid chlorine in my pool looks great now. So thank you! What is your advice about letting your dog swim in the pool occasionally?

18. Back To Top    #18

I'd only let a dog swim in the pool if it just had a bath.
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

19. Back To Top    #19

I can't stop one of mine from getting in. i don't know who is lazier, him or me!!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

20. Back To Top    #20

You mean you have not let your poor doggy in the pool yet?????

Yes dogs can get in. You might want to get a skimmer sock for the hair. Just bump the FC up once they get out

Kim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast