Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another crazy solar pool heater diy idea....

1. Back To Top    #1

Another crazy solar pool heater diy idea....

Are you guys familiar with 'pillow tanks' used for water storage? Can be used for agriculture or potable water needsome etc... Any ways the sizes vary from small to huge...

I have an idea to route pool water into a black storage tank, let the sun heat the bag, then route it back into the pool.... say I have a 10'x14' 2400 gallon bag. I could use it seasonally then store it in the winter.

Thoughts? If you Google pillow tank you'll know what I'm talking about. Made from high strength pvc material. I don't like the idea of buying new solar panels when they are only useful about a month or so on each end of the swim season here in AZ And have them exposed to the elements the rest of the year...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another crazy solar pool heater diy idea....

Are you suggesting continually moving water through the bag?
    It is much more efficient to heat a lot of water a couple degrees that a little water a lot of degrees.
    And solar heating is about sqft of exposure to the sun.

How big is your pool?

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool is 15000 gallons. Yes I'm thinking I'd continually move water through the tank and place it on an unused patio next to the pool in the sun. I'm in Scottsdale AZ.

4. Back To Top    #4

So why not just get some inexpensive solar mats to sit in the same place that you can roll up and put away?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Solar mats? I've seen some on Amazon and Ebay but was skeptical of the quality. Anyone with reviews? They seem too small to do any good...

6. Back To Top    #6

Solar mat/panel whatever you want to call them. You need many of them to have surface area for the sun to hit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

bladderwatertanks-mars.jpg

If surface area is what you need, then this is the solution. Holding 2500 gallons of water vs a 4x4 mat holding 1 gallon.

- - - Updated - - -

PillowTank.jpg

Let's take it to another level!

8. Back To Top    #8

But you want high flow rate and small temperature rises for better efficiency.
    Jason, TFP Moderator