Riddle me this

Darren35

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2014
Evansville, IN
I am diligently following the way of this site and I have learned a lot. For example, I used to put algaecide in my pool every week and people complained about green hair. I get the savings using baking soda and borax instead of ph up, down, etc, but is adding bleach to your pool daily really cheaper than chlorine feeder?

A pool needs to have a certain number of ppm of FC added each day to be safe. If you look at the costs of chlorine sources per ppm of FC, liquid chlorine is nearly always cheaper. And it does not have the side-effects of the tablets. If you want to use tablets, be sure to include the cost and hassled of possibly draining your pool to lower the CYA.

That said, in areas of the country where the season is short, rain is plentiful, and the pool is partially drained for winter, using the tablets exclusively can be a valid solution ... assuming that you monitor the CYA level and increase the FC level proportionally with the rising CYA. Or use the tablets until the CYA hits 60ppm or so and then switch to bleach.

You just have to understand what the products are doing to your pool and what the long term ramification might be.

If you stay on the forum through the summer, in late July/August we will be inundated with green pools. This is usually because they are using tablets, the CYA rises (which they do not realize) and they do not raise the FC level. To make matters worse, when the pool starts to go green, they may start dumping Dichlor "shock" into it ... well, that makes the CYA rise even faster.

Mark my words ... happens every year :D

If you stay on the forum through the summer, in late July/August we will be inundated with green pools. This is usually because they are using tablets, the CYA rises (which they do not realize) and they do not raise the FC level. To make matters worse, when the pool starts to go green, they may start dumping Dichlor "shock" into it ... well, that makes the CYA rise even faster.

Mark my words ... happens every year :D

I aint going nowhere lol. I look at this site and read other's posts all the time. I have learned a ton! Many thanks to everyone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.