Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Riddle me this

1. Back To Top    #1

Riddle me this

I am diligently following the way of this site and I have learned a lot. For example, I used to put algaecide in my pool every week and people complained about green hair. I get the savings using baking soda and borax instead of ph up, down, etc, but is adding bleach to your pool daily really cheaper than chlorine feeder?
    16 x 32 Sport Pool; Hayward Series Sand Filter S244T
    15,000 Gallons, In Ground with New Vinyl Liner
    Pool approx. Five Years Old. Live in KY

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Riddle me this

You can use liquid chlorine or bleach. Both do the same thing and will not mess with other levels like your CYA
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

A pool needs to have a certain number of ppm of FC added each day to be safe. If you look at the costs of chlorine sources per ppm of FC, liquid chlorine is nearly always cheaper. And it does not have the side-effects of the tablets. If you want to use tablets, be sure to include the cost and hassled of possibly draining your pool to lower the CYA.

That said, in areas of the country where the season is short, rain is plentiful, and the pool is partially drained for winter, using the tablets exclusively can be a valid solution ... assuming that you monitor the CYA level and increase the FC level proportionally with the rising CYA. Or use the tablets until the CYA hits 60ppm or so and then switch to bleach.

You just have to understand what the products are doing to your pool and what the long term ramification might be.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I am sticking to bleach. Just wondered if it was cheaper. Didn't consider side effects. Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

If you stay on the forum through the summer, in late July/August we will be inundated with green pools. This is usually because they are using tablets, the CYA rises (which they do not realize) and they do not raise the FC level. To make matters worse, when the pool starts to go green, they may start dumping Dichlor "shock" into it ... well, that makes the CYA rise even faster.

Mark my words ... happens every year
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quite often it does turn out to be the case.

Blizzle is right though. Every year I've been here for sure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

^^^^^ yup ^^^^^
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Plus algaecide is an added expense
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    If you stay on the forum through the summer, in late July/August we will be inundated with green pools. This is usually because they are using tablets, the CYA rises (which they do not realize) and they do not raise the FC level. To make matters worse, when the pool starts to go green, they may start dumping Dichlor "shock" into it ... well, that makes the CYA rise even faster.

Mark my words ... happens every year
    I aint going nowhere lol. I look at this site and read other's posts all the time. I have learned a ton! Many thanks to everyone!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post
    I aint going nowhere lol. I look at this site and read other's posts all the time. I have learned a ton! Many thanks to everyone!
    Great! Stick around, keep reading posts and solutions to problems. I bet in a month or so the big lightbulb will come on over your head and you will be answering questions.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon