Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get the chlorine levels balanced...

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get the chlorine levels balanced...

We have an SWG and have been running it about 6 hours a day. Having trouble figuring out how long to run it to get the chlorine up around a 5. We have been adding liquid chlorine from the pool store to keep the levels up there. Yesterday we tested the FC and it was 0. So we dosed according to poolmath to get it from 0-5. So today I tested and the FC was only 1.5?? How is that possible. The CYA we put in is fully dissolved out of the sock now, but not able to be registered on our test for another 3-4 days. Are we doing something wrong?? Our SWG (intex) has a boost setting that we have been using - but it seems like just putting the chlorinator on for 6 hours a day on regular setting isn't cutting it.

Pool is in full sun until about 5pm. We don't use a cover or anything during the day.
    CYA should be up around 70 now...won't know for the next few days.
    Running chlorinator about 6 hours a day...5-6 usually. Seems the boost setting is the only thing that keeps the chlorine up high enough.

Any advice? Hope this is understandable - thanks!

(Still very new to this!!)

- - - Updated - - -

Seems our chlorine levels are hovering between a 1 and a 3 consistently. Pool water still looks great but I'm worried that the numbers are staying too low. We have been swimming about every other day...sometimes every day.
    Legacy AG soft-sided pool (13'x21'x52"), 7,400 gallons I think?? (not sure how to determine this for sure...I've used poolmath but the pool is slightly irregular we have found), Pooline sand filter, 1 horsepower/1 speed pump, Pool installed within the last week and finished filling 4/26/15, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear SWG, & Splash a Round Pools Leisure automatic vac. 1st time pool owner wanting to avoid the pool stores!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get the chlorine levels balanced...

Could be bather load, especially if kids are swimming and pee'ing in the pool. (It happens more than we want to admit!!!)

I would keep dosing with liquid and wait til next week to see if You have enough CYA.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

WE have a new pool with SWG too and have had similar problem...though worse. Running at 85%, 24 hours/day for past 3-4 days with practically no chlorine. Our CYA is still low and we get sun most of the day, but I would expect SOME chlorine given the 24 hour/day output. Any indications that SWG faulty? Reading 'no flow' or anything like that? Our nature 2 fusion reading no flow a lot we are having installers come back and look at it for the third time....good luck!
    Inground Pool Completed April 2015
    Salt Water Generator- Nature 2 Fusion Soft
    33,500 gallons, Gunite/White Plaster
    Cartridge Filtration
    Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    WE have a new pool with SWG too and have had similar problem...though worse. Running at 85%, 24 hours/day for past 3-4 days with practically no chlorine. Our CYA is still low and we get sun most of the day, but I would expect SOME chlorine given the 24 hour/day output. Any indications that SWG faulty? Reading 'no flow' or anything like that? Our nature 2 fusion reading no flow a lot we are having installers come back and look at it for the third time....good luck!
    See if they will take it back and swap in a larger swg since this one is having problems.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100