Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pools and taking over from pool company - First tests today

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pools and taking over from pool company - First tests today

First post:

I bought this house about 6 months ago in South Florida. It has a gunite pool built in 1987 which was resurfaced with Diamond Brite some time ago. We bought the house from the original owners and it appears they didn't use the pool much over the past 10 years but always had it filled and maintained by a pool company. This is my first pool so for simplicity I kept with the same pool company. They come out once a week and do quick cleanup and balance the chemicals. The primary chlorination seems to come from the tablets in the floating dispenser.

We currently don't have a heater yet and the pool is in a screen enclosure and does not get large debris. It does get sun over the day but that is limited somewhat by the screen and some trees.

I am currently paying $85 a month for pool service and don't really feel that good about it. The pool water seems ok and I haven't noticed any problems with the quality of the water. I have noticed some dark spots emerging over the past 1-2 months and now I am wondering if it is black algae spots. The pool will probably get a makeover (resurface and tile) in the next 6 months.

I am looking to part ways with my pool company and take over. I got a TFTestkits
    TF-100 delivered today and here are my results. The pool was most recently serviced by the pool tech on Tuesday morning.

PH: 7.5
    FC: 8
    CC: .5
    TC: 8.5
    CH: 225
    TA: 90
    CYA: 55

Not sure if I will let the pool company finish out the month or take over now. How am I looking? If it is algae I am thinking I need to SLAM. I guess I should try the overnight test?
    Last edited by Sir Thomas Hobbes; 05-15-2015 at 04:27 AM. Reason: PH level
    20k? gal, IG plaster, 3HP Pentair Intelliflo variable pump, Hayward cartridge filter, built in 1987 with spa but currently have no heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pools and taking over from pool company - First tests today

Welcome to TFP!!!

Honestly, those are shockingly good numbers for a pool maintenance company, but not worth $85/mo in my book. You are lucky the CYA is reasonable.
    Did you test the pH?

Black algae is not usual except in really badly maintained pools.

The OCLT would be a good test to ensure that there is nothing in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New to pools and taking over from pool company - First tests today

Just added the PH level. Whoops.

I thought the number looked decent. I wonder how they might look by Monday when nothing has been balanced since the previous Tuesday? I am guessing it will look a little worse by then. I will try the overnight test today.
    20k? gal, IG plaster, 3HP Pentair Intelliflo variable pump, Hayward cartridge filter, built in 1987 with spa but currently have no heater.