Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What permanent glue to use on pipes with threads?

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation What permanent glue to use on pipes with threads?

I had problems with the threaded connections at my multi-valve leaking last year so I bought these threaded unions. http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Haywa...n/SP14953S.htm

What kind of glue should I use if I want the threads to be permanently glued on and water tight?

Thanks, Brannon
    15x30 AG 12k, Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 hp, 21' sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400 propane heater. Intex swcg, Wanda the whale, upgrading to an Suntouch with Solar Bear Panels...

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What permanent glue to use on pipes with threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brannon132 View Post
    I had problems with the threaded connections at my multi-valve leaking last year so I bought these threaded unions. http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Haywa...n/SP14953S.htm

What kind of glue should I use if I want the threads to be permanently glued on and water tight?

Thanks, Brannon
    You don't want "the threads to be permanently glued on". You should use Teflon tape or pipe dope suitable for PVC to seal the threads.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I had some trouble with leaks. I used Permatex #2 from the auto store. My leaks went away. Threaded joints are meant to be able to be removed if needed. If you want to put them in with out never-ever removing them, you could use some epoxy. But they will never come out.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

4. Back To Top    #4

Lol I'm such a rookie to this pool stuff. Thank goodness for this site!

I was thinking that if I had unions there's no real need for them to ever be taken apart.

I like the Permetex 2 idea. I tried Teflon tape and putty last year.

Thanks, Brannon
    15x30 AG 12k, Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 hp, 21' sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400 propane heater. Intex swcg, Wanda the whale, upgrading to an Suntouch with Solar Bear Panels...

5. Back To Top    #5

there is an art to using teflon tape and putty
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Lmao, it must be.

I can plumb a whole house no problem but these pool threads are so sloppy they wiggle even when there screwed in tight....

I'll work on it.
    Thanks Brannon

7. Back To Top    #7

If you put Teflon tape on backwards when screwing on a fitting the tape will back off. Teflon tape has to be installed "clockwise" on threaded fittings. This way when tightening a fitting, the tape will move in the same direction (to the right).
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe I've been doing it wrong is that clockwise looking at the threads? Or clockwise with the threads pointed away from you?

Thanks, Brannon

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Brannon132 View Post
    Maybe I've been doing it wrong is that clockwise looking at the threads? Or clockwise with the threads pointed away from you?

Thanks, Brannon
    Apply the Teflon tape in the same direction that the fitting is turned while tightening. I do not need to tape or pipe dope the center connection in my unions and they never leak. The threaded end, I would use the tape or pipe dope.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

10. Back To Top    #10

So since most connections are righty tighty I wrap that the threads clockwise as there facing away from me.

Thanks, Brannon

11. Back To Top    #11

If the threads are facing toward you, like you are looking into the pipe, then it is clockwise. I'm right handed, so I hold the pipe/fitting in my left hand with the threads facing my right hand. Start the tape over the top away from me, and under the bottom toward me.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Sweet!

13. Back To Top    #13

You could try a product called RectorSeal instead of tape. This stuff will seal joints that laugh at Teflon tape.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_45368-72720-...tt=rector+seal

I prefer the white RectorSeal over the yellow RectorSeal. The yellow stuff is too "runny" for my liking. The white is very thick and stays where I put it.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit