What permanent glue to use on pipes with threads?

I had problems with the threaded connections at my multi-valve leaking last year so I bought these threaded unions. http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Hayward-SP14953S-1-12in-MPT-x-1-12in-SL-2in-SPG-Union/SP14953S.htm

What kind of glue should I use if I want the threads to be permanently glued on and water tight?

Thanks, Brannon

You don't want "the threads to be permanently glued on". You should use Teflon tape or pipe dope suitable for PVC to seal the threads.

I had some trouble with leaks. I used Permatex #2 from the auto store. My leaks went away. Threaded joints are meant to be able to be removed if needed. If you want to put them in with out never-ever removing them, you could use some epoxy. But they will never come out.

Lol I'm such a rookie to this pool stuff. Thank goodness for this site!

I was thinking that if I had unions there's no real need for them to ever be taken apart.

I like the Permetex 2 idea. I tried Teflon tape and putty last year.

Thanks, Brannon

If you put Teflon tape on backwards when screwing on a fitting the tape will back off. Teflon tape has to be installed "clockwise" on threaded fittings. This way when tightening a fitting, the tape will move in the same direction (to the right).

Maybe I've been doing it wrong is that clockwise looking at the threads? Or clockwise with the threads pointed away from you?

Thanks, Brannon

Apply the Teflon tape in the same direction that the fitting is turned while tightening. I do not need to tape or pipe dope the center connection in my unions and they never leak. The threaded end, I would use the tape or pipe dope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the threads are facing toward you, like you are looking into the pipe, then it is clockwise. I'm right handed, so I hold the pipe/fitting in my left hand with the threads facing my right hand. Start the tape over the top away from me, and under the bottom toward me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.