Does this water line look okay to you?

RyanMcC

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2013
NH
Hi all,

We've been lurking for a couple years with just a few posts. We started with a used 20' x 48" Intex and zero knowledge and made all kinds of the usual mistakes- "this spot looks pretty level to me" sort of thing. We've come a long way and last summer the Intex gave up the ghost after me patching the bottom at all hours of the night with my husband holding my legs out of the water which must have been very amusing to the neighbors. We even corrected one Intex install with an engine hoist, which was scary and ridiculous but that worked for the season (and probably helped bring about the leaks).

Fast forward to now- we shelled out in January when we could get a great deal on a Radiant Metric. Our neighbors lost a new AGP after one season due to frost heave damage, something out street suffers from terribly. We went with Radiant largely for this reason.

This is the 4th pool setup we've done and the most care we've taken. We borrowed a laser level and did the paving stones exactly as directed. I thought we were within 1/8" level with the pavers when we began. We also installed this ourselves and work full time with little kids and long commutes with other ailments to boot, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised... It's almost full and it looks like we are 3/4" out of level. Maybe up to 1" but I don't think quite that much. Also, it's not all the way around. It dips in two roughly opposite spots, about the same amount.

I know everything says to be less than an inch, and I know what more looks like and the problems that ensue, at least with our Intex pool. I am so frustrated as I really thought this was more level and the past issues have made me very anal and paranoid about it. I am hoping for reassurance but also know I'll get honesty here. We're hoping this is a 15 or 20 year install. Do you think this amount of level with this pool is okay for years to come? Sorry, the picture is a bit dark. It never dips worse than that, it does pretty much the same thing on the side not shown, nothing more.

Thank you,

Mjo

1-level.jpg

Mjo

I had a similar issue, I was within 1/8" then when I filled, it seemed to be off a about 3/4 - 1". However, I think it is just the beaded liner and the pattern making it look off. When I measure the water to the top copping at different places around the pool, it seems to be less than 3/4". After digging in all that clay, I am really happy with less than 1".

Oh... that's what my husband was saying when it was less full- that it was more due to the liner. He's been less sure as it approaches full. Thanks! I will re-measure from coping. I know what you mean about the digging. Hoping for less than 1 or 3/4" too.

- - - Updated - - -

yosttmatt, I just went through your pictures and can see how similar it looks. Thanks! I am feeling very encouraged! Beautiful job with yours and the deck. We are hoping to do a deck next year.

My liner does this. The pool is within level to 1/2" or so. My liner is high from one side directly across from the other. It drives me nuts but not enough to take it down. I'll have to root up a pic.

yosttmatt, I just went through your pictures and can see how similar it looks. Thanks! I am feeling very encouraged! Beautiful job with yours and the deck. We are hoping to do a deck next year.

Thanks! I am actually still working on it this spring. That was a lot of work, probably more work than the pool. My only two pool project this year are to finish the deck, and put in a SWCG. The SWCG is done and so far, I love it.

There is a diving ring on the roof, that I need to get off, and when I am up there I am going to snap a few more pictures. All I need to do is put some lattes up around a few spots, then I am calling it the whole pool project complete. But that is it. I am going to enjoy summer this year. Now if I can just talk my wife into getting me a Jimmy Buffet Margrittaville drink maker for my birthday next month!

You guys were totally right! It's finally full and I measured from the coping edge to water line around the whole pool. We are 1/4" high to low in various non-consecutive spots around the pool. WHEW!!! That's so much more like what we expected and I can happily live with that. Very relieved after all the crazy hard work the last few weekends.

It's enough to drive ya batty but it's done, you're well within industry standards n now you can swim!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.