Coping Upgrade Cost

May 14, 2015
Richardson
Hi all,

My wife and I have been dealing Venture Custom Pools in North Texas as part of a $20K pool option with a new house construction, and have been significantly disappointed in the base options that includes (red flagstone coping). To upgrade to a more nuetral tan or brown color (Oklahoma Flagstone), they are wanting to charge over $2k - this seems excessive to us but wanted to ask you all if this is reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

Picture below.

pool.jpg

That sounds high to me. We just remodeled our pool. We had Tennessee Flagstone installed for coping. Our pool had no coping to speak of previously. It was just poured concrete that was part of the whole back patio area. They had to saw the edge of our deck off and. Install the new Flagstone. They charged 1500 bucks for the labor for this. The Flagstone was 340 bucks a ton. Which i beleive we only used one pallet (palletized by ton). They already are doing the labor so they shouldnt be charging anymore for that. I can't imagine the Oklahoma Flagstone being that much more expensive. The Tennessee Flagstone we used was more expensive than the typical stuff our PB used. I would ask them to explain the big price difference.

I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Do you mean that getting the pool for $20,000 is part of an option that comes with building a new house? Can you share the specs and equipment that are included for $20K? Is it an inground pool or an above ground pool? What type of chlorination or sanitization are you interested in using? For example, using the typical chlorine method or a Salt Water Generator system (SWG or SWGS), which produces chlorine, to sanitize the pool from germs, etc.

Whatever information you can give will make it easier to help answer your questions. You can look at the signature information under our posts for tips on the type of information to give.

Congratulations on your future pool!!!! You're in the right place for information, support, and encouragement - and sometimes a few laughs!!! Take care! Suz.

I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Do you mean that getting the pool for $20,000 is part of an option that comes with building a new house? Can you share the specs and equipment that are included for $20K? Is it an inground pool or an above ground pool? What type of chlorination or sanitization are you interested in using? For example, using the typical chlorine method or a Salt Water Generator system (SWG or SWGS), which produces chlorine, to sanitize the pool from germs, etc.

Whatever information you can give will make it easier to help answer your questions. You can look at the signature information under our posts for tips on the type of information to give.

Congratulations on your future pool!!!! You're in the right place for information, support, and encouragement - and sometimes a few laughs!!! Take care! Suz.

Yes, the $20K was the cost for the option to add the pool as part of a new construction of a house. The pool is inground, and the following is included:

 All plans and permits included
 Standard track hoe soil excavation and removal from level build site
 12” X 12” four bar upper beam/8”-10” gunite walls and floors
 Rebar steel reinforcement throughout gunite structure
 All standard plumbing and electrical work
 Pool depth 3 ½’ to 5’ or 3 ½’ to 5’ to 4’
 Written lifetime structural warranty of gunite pool shell
 UP to 72 linear foot perimeter pool placed in most level area of yard
 6” X 6” waterline tile from standard Megatel Homes selections
 White plaster interior surface
 Colorado Red flagstone coping
 Three steps into shallow end of pool
 One surface skimmer and three circulation returns--up to 15’ of plumbing from skimmer to equipment
 Dual main drains with safety covers
 (1) standard 500 watt light
 Approximate three foot width exposed aggregate walkway around perimeter of pool--provided by Megatel Homes. No other configuration is available!
 Hayward 1 HP single speed pump
 Hayward 325 SF cartridge filter
 Intermatic time clock with freeze guard
 Start up chemicals and pool school
 Brush, net, pole and basic water test kit

Seems really expensive to me. Is it something they have a big surplus of, or perhaps leftover from another job, or cancelled job?

Have you already signed the contract? Paid deposit? This is usually something you need to negotiate before hand, but there are certain avenues you can go.

If all else fails, call and speak to the owner. Explain that you're a member of this website, and really looking forward to posting your pics of the pool build on this site. Explain your concern for the way the coping will look, and that you've been looking at other DFW build's and that you really like the oklahoma flagstone that the other builders are using in the area. If there is any way we can work it so that the coping looks as good as the other's in this area, I will give you glowing reviews and recommendations.

I wouldn't necessarily threaten to leave him negative reviews or anything, but just the thought that you are sharing your experience online, may be enough to help you out. A quick search on BBB shows they've had a couple complaints in the last two years, as well as one on ripoff report, so I bet they're interested in positive info being spread.

Just a thought because honestly, the 2k seems really high for an upcharge regarding what you're seeking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it's how I'm thinking there really isn't an owner to call. Are you building with megatel?

There really isn't a pool company to call and getwith it's like upgrading the faucets or light fixtures in your house, correct?

We are building with Megatel, but the contract states that Venture Custom Pools will be building the pool. We were directed to deal directly with them to design the shape and pick out colors, but my assumption was that Red Colorado wouldn't be the standard base color or only base color available, and that the upgrade cost would be so high.

We are building with Megatel, but the contract states that Venture Custom Pools will be building the pool. We were directed to deal directly with them to design the shape and pick out colors, but my assumption was that Red Colorado wouldn't be the standard base color or only base color available, and that the upgrade cost would be so high.

Hmmm yeah seems an odd color to be the only standard. It's like they know most will want to change it so it's another way for them to get a good chunk of change. Definitely call and argue it.

Hi all,

My wife and I have been dealing Venture Custom Pools in North Texas as part of a $20K pool option with a new house construction, and have been significantly disappointed in the base options that includes (red flagstone coping). To upgrade to a more nuetral tan or brown color (Oklahoma Flagstone), they are wanting to charge over $2k - this seems excessive to us but wanted to ask you all if this is reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

When we looked at stone in Austin, the price per pound was just about equal for Colorado and Oklahoma flagstone.

Here's a link to a pricelist from the Dallas area that shows them to be exactly equal: http://www.martinstone.net/categories.php?cat=10

Here's a link to a pricelist from the Fort Worth area that shows Oklohoma flagstone to be less expensive: http://www.whiz-q.com/category/flagstone.html

Two things from me:
They probably ordered a trainload of this stuff so the price was ridiculously cheap and is why they have to charge more for anything else. But who knows.
Second - the pool described above is bare bones in all regards. This may be fine for you, but if you were to educate yourself on various areas of pool construction here, you'd see that the options included in the base pool package will cause some functional limitations or compromises. If you want to be pointed in the direction of areas to look at for potential upgrades just say the word and you'll likely get lots if suggestions. Kind of like buying the base level car with no options. Most people don't do it for a reason.

^^^^^^ what bmoreswim said, spend a couple days on here researching and upgrade for the better, you will like your pool so much more..

Two things from me:
They probably ordered a trainload of this stuff so the price was ridiculously cheap and is why they have to charge more for anything else. But who knows.
Second - the pool described above is bare bones in all regards. This may be fine for you, but if you were to educate yourself on various areas of pool construction here, you'd see that the options included in the base pool package will cause some functional limitations or compromises. If you want to be pointed in the direction of areas to look at for potential upgrades just say the word and you'll likely get lots if suggestions. Kind of like buying the base level car with no options. Most people don't do it for a reason.

Thanks for your thoughts, however, our budget and what we want to spend on the pool is what it is - we knew going into the process the pool would be basic but saw some of the pools at other model homes (with Oklahoma flagstone) and figured it would suit our needs. The company just provided me the following upgrade options... prices seem VERY steep:

Upgrade waterline tile from standard Megatel Homes selection---$1275
Upgrade to Oklahoma flagstone or flat precast stone coping (Colorado Red standard)---$2195
Silvermist flagstone coping---$2395
60% quartz interior pool surface---$2025 (spa add $595)
100% quartz interior pool surface-choice from several standard colors---$2950 (spa add $650)
Stonescapes pebble interior pool surface-choice from standard colors---$3625 (spa add $750)
One ton moss rock waterfall (approximate size 5’ length/18” height)---$2350
Two ton moss rock waterfall (approximate size 6’ length/2’ height)---$3150

OR they offered up the following package:

 Upgrade to two surface skimmers & five circulation returns-- helps keep your pool sparkling clean!
 Up to additional 10’ skimmer plumbing run to equipment (25‘ instead of 15‘)
 Upgrade to Oklahoma flagstone coping
 Upgrade from standard Megatel Homes waterline tile selection
 Upgrade to Hayward On Command control panel with four function puck remote
 Upgrade to 1 ½ HP/2 speed energy efficient Hayward pump
 Upgrade to large capacity 425 square foot Hayward cartridge filter
 Hayward Navigator automatic pool cleaner
 Chlorine tablet feeder sanitizing system
 Overflow line
 Fill line at hose bib
 Upgrade to hand seeded aggregate decking (up to 350 square feet) with underground drainage system and applicable gutter downspout connections

$10525 a $4,120 savings!

Thanks for your thoughts, however, our budget and what we want to spend on the pool is what it is - we knew going into the process the pool would be basic but saw some of the pools at other model homes (with Oklahoma flagstone) and figured it would suit our needs. The company just provided me the following upgrade options... prices seem VERY steep:

Upgrade waterline tile from standard Megatel Homes selection---$1275
Upgrade to Oklahoma flagstone or flat precast stone coping (Colorado Red standard)---$2195
Silvermist flagstone coping---$2395
60% quartz interior pool surface---$2025 (spa add $595)
100% quartz interior pool surface-choice from several standard colors---$2950 (spa add $650)
Stonescapes pebble interior pool surface-choice from standard colors---$3625 (spa add $750)
One ton moss rock waterfall (approximate size 5’ length/18” height)---$2350
Two ton moss rock waterfall (approximate size 6’ length/2’ height)---$3150

OR they offered up the following package:

 Upgrade to two surface skimmers & five circulation returns-- helps keep your pool sparkling clean!
 Up to additional 10’ skimmer plumbing run to equipment (25‘ instead of 15‘)
 Upgrade to Oklahoma flagstone coping
 Upgrade from standard Megatel Homes waterline tile selection
 Upgrade to Hayward On Command control panel with four function puck remote
 Upgrade to 1 ½ HP/2 speed energy efficient Hayward pump
 Upgrade to large capacity 425 square foot Hayward cartridge filter
 Hayward Navigator automatic pool cleaner
 Chlorine tablet feeder sanitizing system
 Overflow line
 Fill line at hose bib
 Upgrade to hand seeded aggregate decking (up to 350 square feet) with underground drainage system and applicable gutter downspout connections

$10525 a $4,120 savings!

You're probably going to want the drainage. Is your current builder running drainage to the curb?

My first round upgrade suggestions would be (in order):

2-speed pump -nice energy saver and almost silent on low. Your 1-speed pump will be very noticeable
Main drain not connected to skimmer
Salt water chlorine generator if you don't go with a soft stone
Overflow line

Others would likely put the upgraded pool surface high on their list.

As Suz asked, how do you plan to maintain your pool? Yourself the TFP way, service, yourself Pool Store way, etc? And sanitize - SWCG, Bleach, Pucks?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.