need verification

May 24, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
So I took a sample to a pool supply store which they provided me a electronic readout.

Total Chlorine: 0.0
Free Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 8.0
Total Alkalinity: 155
Calcium Hardness: 375
Stabilizer: 0
Total Diss. Solids: 3300
Salt: 3370
Shock Treatment: 0.0

So they told me to buy and do the following.

Day 1 - Natural Chemistry Instant Conditioner- 1 Gal (spread around the pool)
Day 2 - Poolpals PH Down 3lb ( Pour 2pts 9 0zs deep part of pool)
Day 2 - 1lbs W&W Super-Chlo (add 1lbs to a large bucket of water and pour slowly around the perimeter)

does this sound right? I just want to make sure that the advice given by the pool person is correct before I continue. So far I just completed day 1 adding the instant conditioner.

Is this safe for the saltwater?

Your salt level is higher than your total dissolved solid level? That is impossible (salt is a dissolved solid) and a great example why we say that pool store testing is worthless.

The TFPC method is mutually exclusive to the method of taking your water in to a pool store and dumping in what they sell you. So if you choose to go that route then we can't offer much advice or opinions on what they tell you. I see you have been a member for a few years, have you checked out the Pool School or the basics of the TFPC method yet?

"L_R", I'm just burning a few minutes on-line so I thought I'd reply as well ...... Donldson is spot-on. Unless you just need to buy some liquid bleach, acid, or a pool accessory, stay out of those stores! They will suck your checkbook dry and have you running in circles. They did that to me with all their fancy computer printouts and advice for two years. The ABCs of Chemistry, Pool School, SLAM, and pool calculator on this site are the most valuable tools in your arsenal. Stay with them and you won't regret it.

What you need is a reliable test kit which you can find in Pool School. Pool School is the link at the top,right of every page and it will help you understand what we will be telling you to do to understand your Pool. If you don't make the effort to read it try to understand it, ask questions and have your own test kit, then we'll all get flustered. Most importantly, we won't be able to,help you.

So, if you could take some time and read the ABC'S of pool water chemistry and order a TF100, you too can break away from the pool store n swim in crystal clear water.

Day 0: Don't buy any of that junk

Day 1: Get yourself one of the test kits we recommend here

Day 2 and all the rest: Take control of your own pool a heckuva lot cheaper following our recommendations and enjoy!

I started following the TPFC method this year and my pool is absolutely fantastic.

Last year was a nightmare. Pool store advice...I am never going down that path again!

Get a test kit and take control. And ask lots of questions. They will all get answered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the comments/feedbacks. I registered years ago but never got a pool and forgot everything about it. I ended up resetting my password since I couldn't remember it.

I feel like I got suckered and wasted $52+gas. I will buy the TF100 tonight and try to read as much as I can. I could have bought it already with the money I wasted at the pool store.

so what can I do now. Should I add what I bought and just wait for the test kit or avoid it until the kit arrives?

If you bought any junk at the pool store, see if you can return it for liquid chlorine, muriatic acid and or CYA.

Do not add anything major until You have the test kit in hand to get a full set of test results. Use pool math to calculate 2ppm of FC to hold the pool,over til the test kit comes in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.