Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need verification

1. Back To Top    #1

need verification

So I took a sample to a pool supply store which they provided me a electronic readout.

Total Chlorine: 0.0
    Free Chlorine: 0.0
    pH: 8.0
    Total Alkalinity: 155
    Calcium Hardness: 375
    Stabilizer: 0
    Total Diss. Solids: 3300
    Salt: 3370
    Shock Treatment: 0.0

So they told me to buy and do the following.

Day 1 - Natural Chemistry Instant Conditioner- 1 Gal (spread around the pool)
    Day 2 - Poolpals PH Down 3lb ( Pour 2pts 9 0zs deep part of pool)
    Day 2 - 1lbs W&W Super-Chlo (add 1lbs to a large bucket of water and pour slowly around the perimeter)

does this sound right? I just want to make sure that the advice given by the pool person is correct before I continue. So far I just completed day 1 adding the instant conditioner.

Is this safe for the saltwater?
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: need verification

Your salt level is higher than your total dissolved solid level? That is impossible (salt is a dissolved solid) and a great example why we say that pool store testing is worthless.

The TFPC method is mutually exclusive to the method of taking your water in to a pool store and dumping in what they sell you. So if you choose to go that route then we can't offer much advice or opinions on what they tell you. I see you have been a member for a few years, have you checked out the Pool School or the basics of the TFPC method yet?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

"L_R", I'm just burning a few minutes on-line so I thought I'd reply as well ...... Donldson is spot-on. Unless you just need to buy some liquid bleach, acid, or a pool accessory, stay out of those stores! They will suck your checkbook dry and have you running in circles. They did that to me with all their fancy computer printouts and advice for two years. The ABCs of Chemistry, Pool School, SLAM, and pool calculator on this site are the most valuable tools in your arsenal. Stay with them and you won't regret it.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

What you need is a reliable test kit which you can find in Pool School. Pool School is the link at the top,right of every page and it will help you understand what we will be telling you to do to understand your Pool. If you don't make the effort to read it try to understand it, ask questions and have your own test kit, then we'll all get flustered. Most importantly, we won't be able to,help you.

So, if you could take some time and read the ABC'S of pool water chemistry and order a TF100, you too can break away from the pool store n swim in crystal clear water.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Day 0: Don't buy any of that junk

Day 1: Get yourself one of the test kits we recommend here

Day 2 and all the rest: Take control of your own pool a heckuva lot cheaper following our recommendations and enjoy!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I second what WoodyP said! It will be the best move you ever made.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

I started following the TPFC method this year and my pool is absolutely fantastic.

Last year was a nightmare. Pool store advice...I am never going down that path again!

Get a test kit and take control. And ask lots of questions. They will all get answered!

30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks for the comments/feedbacks. I registered years ago but never got a pool and forgot everything about it. I ended up resetting my password since I couldn't remember it.

I feel like I got suckered and wasted $52+gas. I will buy the TF100 tonight and try to read as much as I can. I could have bought it already with the money I wasted at the pool store.

so what can I do now. Should I add what I bought and just wait for the test kit or avoid it until the kit arrives?
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

9. Back To Top    #9

If you bought any junk at the pool store, see if you can return it for liquid chlorine, muriatic acid and or CYA.

Do not add anything major until You have the test kit in hand to get a full set of test results. Use pool math to calculate 2ppm of FC to hold the pool,over til the test kit comes in.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter