Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Testing Results

1. Back To Top    #1

First Testing Results

Just wanted to throw out my first testing results after buying the TF-100 kit. I think everything looks fine but I am probably wrong.

FC: 6
    CC:.5
    TC: 6.5
    CH: 300 PPM
    TA: 100
    CYA: 40 PPM
    My Build 20x40 Freeform Shotcrete (33k gal) pool. 3.6-8.6, Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Tennessee Flagstone Coping, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo 4x160 x SVRS, Rainbow Automatic Chlorinator, 1 LED light, Tanning Shelf, 15.6 Slide with 3 different height jumping rocks, Sta-Rite 333k btu propane heater, kool deck, TF100, Dolphin Oasis Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Testing Results

All we need now is pH and what the water looks like. The rest looks fine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

PH was high and had to add 2 3/4 quarts of MA. The pool has been clear.

It's a new pool and I've only had the PH balanced once. Always seems like I'm adding PH.
    My Build 20x40 Freeform Shotcrete (33k gal) pool. 3.6-8.6, Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Tennessee Flagstone Coping, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo 4x160 x SVRS, Rainbow Automatic Chlorinator, 1 LED light, Tanning Shelf, 15.6 Slide with 3 different height jumping rocks, Sta-Rite 333k btu propane heater, kool deck, TF100, Dolphin Oasis Z5

4. Back To Top    #4

Fresh plaster will demand a whole lot of acid. That's normal. Comes with the territory. Sort of like newborn babies cry a lot.
    Check and adjust pH every couple days. The care you give the plaster now will be repaid in a few years when you don't have splotches and scale.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the heads up. I have been testing almost nightly. Just trying to get in a routine.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just tested again and here's what I have:

PH: High (added 2 3/4 Q of MA)
    FC: 2.5
    CC: .5
    TC: 3
    CH: 175
    TA: 60
    CYA: 80

- - - Updated - - -

Pool is still clear but thinking that these levels are telling me it's going to start doing something.

7. Back To Top    #7

How'd the CYA double in less than a month?

If it's really 80, your FC level is far too low.

Have you been feeding it trichlor pucks the whole time?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, I've made sure it's full. Each time I clean the pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by james63038 View Post
    Yes, I've made sure it's full. Each time I clean the pool.
    Oh, dear....

You haven't been reading much in Pool School, have you?

Two things you need to read:
    My reply in this thread
    How to Chlorinate your Pool in Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Those pucks that you add to your chlorinator adds to your CYA. You should lay off of them since your CYA is way too high. You should stick with liquid bleach for now. It might not be a bad idea to replace some water to get that level down to around 50. Save the pucks for when you go on vacation.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

11. Back To Top    #11

Obviously not. It's a lot of info and I have read it but it didn't sink in.
    So basically I shouldn't use the chlorinator at all and just use bleach? According to the link provided.
    I'll take all the pucks out right away.

12. Back To Top    #12

Again, I'm new to all of this so please excuse the stupid questions. When testing, is CYA the most important to focus on? I know they are all important, however, is that the one I need to worry about?

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

It is a lot to take in and my head was spinning for the first couple of weeks. Over time, it will begin to sink in and you will be an expert in no time.

All of the chems are important, but for different reasons. Your CYA level tells you what your FC target should be.
    Check out this chart:
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Your CYA of 80 means that your target FC is 9 and that your should never let it get below 6. With a CYA of 80, it would be very difficult and expensive if you have to battle algae. Since you let your FC get below 6, you could be on the verge of an algae outbreak.

1. Take out all pucks.
    2. At liquid bleach to bring your FC up to the target of 9. Use pool math to determine how much bleach to add: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    3. Consider replacing some water to get your CYA back down. Again, pool matH can help you figure how much water to replace.
    4. After water replacement, re-test CYA to verify your CYA level.
    5. Do not let your FC level get below your minimum for your CYA.

Also, can you add your filter type to your signature? Thanks!
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    2017 replaster/retile

14. Back To Top    #14

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

The key is learning what your pool needs and only adding what it needs.

Solid forms of chlorine (powder/pucks) add either calcuim (which increase CH) or stabilizer (which increases CYA). Solid forms of chlorine are also acidic and can make your PH and TA decrease.

My pool is about your pool's size and now that I have my pool dialed in and am in a set routine, my pool likes about 1 jug of 8.25% of liquid bleach a day. I get my bleach from Wally World because it is cheap, convenient and they always have fresh bleach. Some folks are able to get their hands on cheap 10% bleach. FYI, bleach looses its strength over time and when stored in the hot sun, so always check the date. Plain generic brand bleach, no splashless, no scented.
    Karen
    2017 replaster/retile

16. Back To Top    #16

Great, thanks for the heads up. I'll need to make a trip soon. I have some bleach but not a lot.
    I'm looking forward to understanding it better and getting out of this 'not in control' stage.

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok, you are getting on the right track. I want to reemphasize two things.

It is important to keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.8. Add acid to bring it down to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8.

It is also important to never let your chlorine level drop below the minimum level for your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

I have my FC at 8.5 and CYA is still near 80. Will that come down over time? According to the calculator, it says I would have to replace 50% of my water (if I did it correctly) to bring it back down. That's a little crazy.

19. Back To Top    #19

CYA will only drop with splash out, rain over flow or water replacement. CYA reduction is a 1 to 1 ratio with water replacement. 50% water replacement will reduce CYA by 50%, or 80 to 40.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach