Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed pump switch

1. Back To Top    #1

2 speed pump switch

I will eventually install a 2-speed pump for my pool.

Will a typical in-ground pool pump prime on low speed? If it will then below is a mute point. If it will not please keep reading.

I want my new pump to run on high speed for the first 10 minutes to make sure it is primed before and automatic switch switches the pump to Low Speed. When the pool cuts off for the day/cycle I want the switch to default back to the high speed setting so as to repeat the process the next day/cycle. Is there a switch out there that can do this?
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 speed pump switch

A pump should never lose prime when it turns off, unless you open up the system. If it is, then you have a leak somewhere.

I manually run mine on high to prime, but had no problems after that just leaving it on low and letting it start in low. Now that I have a ProLogic, it automatically runs on high for a few minutes before switching to low, although like I said, this should not be required.

You can buy timers where you can set the on/off and set the high/low switching if you really want this for some reason.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree it should never leak but sometimes it does and it does not give me any warning. So this switch would just be a precautionary step to protect my pump should I lose prime for some reason. Thanks for the reply
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B001DSEC7A

This is what I install for this instance...
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster