This sounds crazy to me, but....

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
So per my signature, new pool owner, gunnite/concrete. currently working at getting Ph and CYA under control thanks to all of your helpful advice. My wife at pool store today and they are saying that it is incredibly important that I talk to our pool builder about when exactly to add calcium hardness because if we don't add it at the right time the wall of the pool will become glassy and start cutting our fingers and toes. Really?
latest numbers:
ph >8.6(after 50-60 pounds of dry acid- switching to muriatic acid today) TA 60 CYA 30 (I know I know workin on it)
calcium hardness 180 Chlorine at 0 despite running SWG at 85% 24/7- getting that looked at too

My understanding is Ph and CYA controlled first, then worry about getting Calcium Hardness up
can I work on Ph and CYA at same time? add CYA to skimmer in sock while also pouring muriatic acid in pool or should I do it separately?

As an aside, I am incredibly discouraged this wonderful new experience has been nothing but stress and frustration for the past 2 months.

Yes, you can treat the pH at the same time the CYA is dissolving.

If you don't have your own test kit, you're working blind. Your stress level will come way down once you're out of the clutches of the pool store.

If you're worried about low CH and low FC, use some Cal-hypo powder to bring the FC up and get the CH up as a side benefit. Just a couple 1 lb. packages.

Yeah,
what patrick said.

I would advise to get that pH down first. plus 8 something isnt good.

CYA at 30 is not a big problem... no rush, but just bump it up a bit when you get a few minutes.

And yes. Get yourself a good test kit. Its the best investment you can make to your pool and definitely will relieve your stress level and free you from the death grip of the pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.