Pool heater question

Elegia

Mar 1, 2008
FL
I have a Jandy AE-Ti heat pump for my pool with connected spa. When I had the heater installed I was told I could set the heater to spa mode and it would heat the spa not the pool. In spa mode it is heating the pool to the same temperture as the spa, is this right? The only time it doesn't heat the pool is when the spa jets are on.

How do I get it to only heat the spa even when the spa jets are off. Or was I given bad advice at the pool store.

There should always be a way to set the valves so that only the spa gets heated and it should be possible to set them that way with or without the spa jets running. Exactly how you do that depends on how your spa is plumbed and, if you have an automation system, how your automation system is programmed.

If you tell us more about your setup and perhaps share a photo of your plumbing, we can help you figure out what to do to get only the spa heated.

And another picture from the side of the above picture.

I can't tell exactly from that picture but it looks like you have the following. Maybe you can confirm.

One main drain suction line (1 1/2")
Two skimmer suction lines (1 1/2")
One Spa suction line (2")

Two pool return lines (1 1/2")
One spa return line (2")

If you only have one spa return line then it is likely that the only return is through the jets. In that case, the only way you will get heat into the spa or filter the spa water is when the jets are on.

It also looks like the chlorinator will only work when the pool is engaged. So you need to make sure you run the spa in overflow for a certain time each day to get it chlorinated.

Yep thats what I got.

The spa return is only just open so that the water from the spa just overflows into the pool. When the heater is set to spa mode heated water is going into the pool and the spa and when I turn the jets on heated water only goes into the spa.

What I want to achieve is that when the spa jets are off and the heater is on in spa mode, I want the spa to be heated only. At the moment when the heater is in spa mode (with temperature set at 102) the pool gets heated too.

This sounds as though this is the way the controller is operating so there may not be too much you can do other than over ride what the default is for the controller. The problem is that you may lose the overflow function if you rewire or reprogram the controller.

What kind of controller are you using?

And to confirm, the two lines that come from the chlorinator, one goes to the pool and the other to the spa?

Either he was describing a function of your automatic controller and not the heater itself, or you got bad advice. The heater doesn't know where the water in it is coming from. Think of the "pool" and "spa" buttons on the heater more like "Preset 1" and "Preset 2" on your radio. It's still up to you to direct the flow of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.