Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New SWG needed for semi above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New SWG needed for semi above ground pool

We've had a Jandy Aquapure EI for 3 years and the control unit died in year 2 (fixed under warranty) and again in year 3. Entering year 4 it's time to cut my losses and replace it with something reliable. I have an above ground pool installed partially below ground. I'm a little confused as to the difference between above ground and below ground SWG. I'd like to get a Hayward Aqua Right as it seems to get good reviews and is reliable. Will that work or do I need to hunt down an AG SWG? Thanks for any feedback.

Radiant Metric 33' 52" AGP (18" in ground)~24500 gallons; Pentair SuperFlo Energy Efficient 1HP Dual Speed Pump; Pentair Tagelus TA100D Sand Filter; Jandy Legacy LRZ400ENN 400,000BTU NG Heater; Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG; 2" Piping rigid above ground and flex below.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New SWG needed for semi above ground pool

Generally the only difference between a IG and AG SWG system is that the IG is designed to be hardwired and not just have a plug.

Looks like you likely have hardwired equipment already, so the AquaRite would be fine. I would recommend you get the 40k T-15 cell.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Generally the only difference between a IG and AG SWG system is that the IG is designed to be hardwired and not just have a plug.

Looks like you likely have hardwired equipment already, so the AquaRite would be fine. I would recommend you get the 40k T-15 cell.
    Thanks for the response and advice.

I currently have a plug in unit, but I can hardwire if need be. Are there any plug in units that are any good or should I just hard wire and get something with a good track record like the Hayward?

Radiant Metric 33' 52" AGP (18" in ground)~24500 gallons; Pentair SuperFlo Energy Efficient 1HP Dual Speed Pump; Pentair Tagelus TA100D Sand Filter; Jandy Legacy LRZ400ENN 400,000BTU NG Heater; Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG; 2" Piping rigid above ground and flex below.

4. Back To Top    #4

You are not likely to find an AG SWG that is large enough.

The AquaRite should be hardwired and bonded ... as with most all IG SWGs I think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hayward and hardwire it is. Appreciate it jblizzle.