Few questions before I order my testing supplies

May 23, 2014
United States
This is my second year with a pool and I'm going to finally buy a FAS-DPD kit. I'm looking at the Taylor 2006 with free 2 day shipping on Amazon for $55 vs. $76 for the TF-100 (with shipping). I already have an OTO test kit and DPD tablets.

my question since the 2006 only has ~25 FAS/DPD tests could i use the OTO or DPD tablets daily and check FAS/DPD every three or four days? my season will probably run the rest of this month and June, July, August so theres about 100 days or so for testing.

sorry if I left out any pertinent information.

This is my second year with a pool and I'm going to finally buy a FAS-DPD kit. I'm looking at the Taylor 2006 with free 2 day shipping on Amazon for $55 vs. $76 for the TF-100 (with shipping). I already have an OTO test kit and DPD tablets.

my question since the 2006 only has ~25 FAS/DPD tests could i use the OTO or DPD tablets daily and check FAS/DPD every three or four days? my season will probably run the rest of this month and June, July, August so theres about 100 days or so for testing.

sorry if I left out any pertinent information.

Just to answer your last question, sure you can. I advise doing the other (FAS/DPD) until you can accurately predict what readings you get with it. Once you know your pool well enough, you can do that.

thanks for the advice. my pool is green right now but I plan on draining it completely, scrubbing, then refilling but just in case I get some algae I want to have the proper testing supplies. I did fine last year with just the DPD tablets. It was crystal clear all year making daily bleach adds. hopefully I'll be just as lucky this year.

I have a 14' x 42" Intex. approx. 4000 gallons. I lowered the water level to about 6 inches when I closed up last year, but with all the rain I'm up to about 8 inches or so now. My plan is to get the pool drained hopefully tomorrow and scrubbed. then start the refill and hopefully be done filling sunday. get my CYA right, PH right then slam and hope for the best with the OCLT. If I run into problems I will be back asking you good folks for help!

I have a 14' x 42" Intex. approx. 4000 gallons. I lowered the water level to about 6 inches when I closed up last year, but with all the rain I'm up to about 8 inches or so now. My plan is to get the pool drained hopefully tomorrow and scrubbed. then start the refill and hopefully be done filling sunday. get my CYA right, PH right then slam and hope for the best with the OCLT. If I run into problems I will be back asking you good folks for help!

Don't drain it all the way. Leave about 1 foot of water. If you drain all the way you risk damage to your liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.