Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Few questions before I order my testing supplies

1. Back To Top    #1

Few questions before I order my testing supplies

This is my second year with a pool and I'm going to finally buy a FAS-DPD kit. I'm looking at the Taylor 2006 with free 2 day shipping on Amazon for $55 vs. $76 for the TF-100 (with shipping). I already have an OTO test kit and DPD tablets.

my question since the 2006 only has ~25 FAS/DPD tests could i use the OTO or DPD tablets daily and check FAS/DPD every three or four days? my season will probably run the rest of this month and June, July, August so theres about 100 days or so for testing.

sorry if I left out any pertinent information.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Few questions before I order my testing supplies

Store your TF100 inside and use it again next year. And the following spring buy the refills cheaper.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHampy View Post
    This is my second year with a pool and I'm going to finally buy a FAS-DPD kit. I'm looking at the Taylor 2006 with free 2 day shipping on Amazon for $55 vs. $76 for the TF-100 (with shipping). I already have an OTO test kit and DPD tablets.

my question since the 2006 only has ~25 FAS/DPD tests could i use the OTO or DPD tablets daily and check FAS/DPD every three or four days? my season will probably run the rest of this month and June, July, August so theres about 100 days or so for testing.

sorry if I left out any pertinent information.
    Just to answer your last question, sure you can. I advise doing the other (FAS/DPD) until you can accurately predict what readings you get with it. Once you know your pool well enough, you can do that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the advice. my pool is green right now but I plan on draining it completely, scrubbing, then refilling but just in case I get some algae I want to have the proper testing supplies. I did fine last year with just the DPD tablets. It was crystal clear all year making daily bleach adds. hopefully I'll be just as lucky this year.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

What kind of pool do you have?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Good deal Hampy,

You'll still want to Start a SLAM to make sure you get all the Algae killed once it's full again. Just to be sure, and get a good clean start.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I also wanted to add that I recommend the TF 100 you get larger amounts of reagents
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a 14' x 42" Intex. approx. 4000 gallons. I lowered the water level to about 6 inches when I closed up last year, but with all the rain I'm up to about 8 inches or so now. My plan is to get the pool drained hopefully tomorrow and scrubbed. then start the refill and hopefully be done filling sunday. get my CYA right, PH right then slam and hope for the best with the OCLT. If I run into problems I will be back asking you good folks for help!

9. Back To Top    #9

When you scrub, add some Bleach to the water and it will help tremendously.

Please add those pool details to your signature line. We will be here...so let us know.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHampy View Post
    I have a 14' x 42" Intex. approx. 4000 gallons. I lowered the water level to about 6 inches when I closed up last year, but with all the rain I'm up to about 8 inches or so now. My plan is to get the pool drained hopefully tomorrow and scrubbed. then start the refill and hopefully be done filling sunday. get my CYA right, PH right then slam and hope for the best with the OCLT. If I run into problems I will be back asking you good folks for help!
    Don't drain it all the way. Leave about 1 foot of water. If you drain all the way you risk damage to your liner.
    Lisa

11. Back To Top    #11

I also recommend the TF 100...better bang for your buck. I like to use FAS/DPD and OTO but I am not a fan of tablets. (FWIW I maintain a similar pool to yours and switched it to salt water and have never looked back.)