filter/pump recommendation for 5000 gal AG pool

KarenT

Jul 20, 2014
Hagerstown MD
OK, I have an above-ground 16 ft (I think) round pool - 5000 gallons. Currently using the original pump/filter (intex) it came with - cartridge filter 1500 gal/hour. It's about 5 years old I think and I'd like to replace the setup with a better filter/pump combo. I have no idea where to start on this. I'm interested in sand possibly but am not sure what size filter/pump I would need.

Related to this:
I currently have the basic "skimmer" setup it came with also - sits on the side and empties into the tube that goes to the outflow valve between pool and pump. This has a screen to prevent large stuff from going into the pump obviously. When I try to vacuum (basic vacuum head and hose hooked up to that outflow valve) it catches the large stuff, but when I remove the vacuum hose to clean it, it all just floats back into the water! Any better setup for this without having to allow the vacuumed water to just empty out on the ground?
thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.