Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Beyond Frustrated - Leveling Help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Beyond Frustrated - Leveling Help!!

So we bought a Intex 22' X 54" pool end of last summer, intended to have it up and running by now.... but guess what? We CANNOT get the ground level. We rented a skid steer which did most of the work but still had to shovel, rake, smooth etc. We got it to what we thought was within an inch of level and started filling that bad boy up. Thought I'd be floating by the weekend . Nope . Last night it was about 1/3 full and we noticed it was more like 6" out of level. We cannot rent the skid steer again and obviously didn't know how to level it properly. So before I level my Husband I thought I'd come to you fine folks.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the best tool(s) to use to ensure it's level? We used a 2x4, anchored the center and spun it around.

2. What tool(s) are the best to use to dig/loosen and level NC red clay/mud/dirt?

Any and help is much appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Beyond Frustrated - Leveling Help!!

Welcome!

Hopefully, the answers you want are in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ling-my-ground
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles8701 View Post
    So we bought a Intex 22' X 54" pool end of last summer, intended to have it up and running by now.... but guess what? We CANNOT get the ground level. We rented a skid steer which did most of the work but still had to shovel, rake, smooth etc. We got it to what we thought was within an inch of level and started filling that bad boy up. Thought I'd be floating by the weekend . Nope . Last night it was about 1/3 full and we noticed it was more like 6" out of level. We cannot rent the skid steer again and obviously didn't know how to level it properly. So before I level my Husband I thought I'd come to you fine folks.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the best tool(s) to use to ensure it's level? We used a 2x4, anchored the center and spun it around.

2. What tool(s) are the best to use to dig/loosen and level NC red clay/mud/dirt?

Any and help is much appreciated!
    Was there a level on the top of the 2-4?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken View Post
    Was there a level on the top of the 2-4?
    Yep...... but we didn't put pavers in for the posts, just had them on the ground. Maybe part of the problem?

5. Back To Top    #5

Rent a transit for the day. Chances are the place you rented the bobcat from will have them as well. They also make a laser level version too. A 2x4 with a level on it won't give you the best results.

http://www.ccmrental.com/files/transit-level.jpg

You get the transit level at a point in your yard. Then put the stick on your blocks, that will tell you the elevation. It should be the same the whole way around.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

6. Back To Top    #6

When we had an Intex pool we didn't have the posts on pavers and it was fine...but we had a very small one, only 10-12 feet maybe? So less water weight, and of course ground varies. If you've disturbed/tilled up the dirt under the post area that could make them sink for sure. Is the pool still set up? Are the posts plumb? Can you look at the low areas and see what is wrong? 6" is pretty far off level, you should be able to figure that part out without too much trouble.
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit