New to TFPC method. Quick question about rust.

May 14, 2015
Hampstead, NC
As the title says I am new to the TFPC method. I have not updated my signature yet, as I have no set my pool up. I am planning on starting this weekend and once I get it setup I will do so.
I have a 18x52 Intex ultra frame that I bought at the end of the season and have no setup yet. I have a well for my water supply and do not have access to city water. I have lots of iron in my water and I also use a water softener. I had a pool setup several years ago and had to fight to get it clear, but anyway my question:
Should I get a test kit and get all my levels correct before attempting to clear out the rust? I know from experience once you add chlorine it will cause more iron to come out of solution. I am assuming that I want to get my Cl levels up and make the iron precipitate out so that it will be more easily filtered out of the water.
Is my assumption correct or would you go about this another way? Any chemicals I should wait to add until my water is clear?
Thank you for any suggestions.

Welcome to TFP! Yes bet a recommended test kit. I love my TF 100. I suggest testing your fill water first. You would have to get a different test to test for iron.

Have you read the ABC's of pool water chemistry in Pool School? There is a lot of great info there.

If you know you're going to have problems with rust, you're ahead of a lot of people who get blindsided.

I'd say... get bleach in there first. If it makes the water look awful, so much the better. and if the pH is low, raise it. If it's high, wait a bit. Here's why: Iron precipitates out in a basic solution. If you can catch the iron and get rid of it, you'll have less to deal with later. Check out this thread. Others have used pillow stuffing or quilt batting to do the same thing.

CAA2FF1F-orig.jpg
You could probably go ahead and hang the sock full of CYA in front of the return. The skimmer will be full of towels.
attachment.php

When the towels or batting stop loading up, then go ahead and balance the rest of it, and add a metal sequestrant. I believe Jack's Magic is the stuff you'll want, just follow the instructions on the bottle regarding FC levels and all that. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains

Thank you both for the prompt replies.
Trust me, the first time i setup a pool a few years ago with this well water I was blindsided pretty badly. After reading forums I found out that the only way to get rid of it is just to keep filtering it out, no other way really.
In the past I have used the paper towel/tube sock method. To make it go faster I even made some homemade filters. I had some small fountain pumps from Harbor Freight. Well i filled gallon milkjugs with polyfill (pillow stuffing) and connected the fountain pumps to those and threw them in the pool. You wouldn't believe how much rust comes out of those things after a few hours (Actually you would, I looked at your posts :)
I just kept cleaning filters for about 3 or 4 days and it was clear. The first year took me almost 2 weeks.

I just ordered the T-100 test kit and a jug of CYA powder. Will get that stuff dissolving in the sock, as I realize it can take a few days to dissolve and Ill get the bleach in there.
I will also get my PH balanced. Once the rust is under control I will get everything else balanced and hopefully will be swimming in a week or so.

I will be sure to post some pics when i get it filled before doing anything so you guys have an idea of what im working with. I'll also get some progress pics because I know everyone likes those.

Thanks again everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.