Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar heating panels advice and suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

solar heating panels advice and suggestions

i have a 24 foot, 52 inch tall round above ground pool i would like to heat using solar panels. placing the panels next to the pump and filter is impractical due to the lack of sunshine in that area.i have a 10 foot high south facing patio roof which receives nearly the entire days sunlight. i would like to create a stand alone system that uses a seperate pump to circulate the water up to this roof, back to the pool. i can provide the electrical needs for the pump.what size or type pump do you recommend for the job.i have an extra quarter horse sump pump available but would that be too much power.would one of those one eighth horse utility pumps do the job.what type and brand of panel do you suggest. the roof is about 14 feet by 14 feet so i cant use 2 by 20 panels.any plumbing advice would be great,i am not a good plumber.i will make a quick-connect system so i can remove the pipe going up to the roof when not in use.it would be an eyesore for the wife. i have posted a picture of the proposed patio roof. thank you paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar heating panels advice and suggestions

Welcome to TFP!

You don't want to use a utility pump because they aren't certified as safe for pool use. You'd have to unplug it to use or work on the pool.

You want a large volume of water to pass through the panels. You will have two 1.5" or 2" pipes going up to the roof to make it work, and you will struggle to come up with hoses that can handle the weight of the water without being anchored to the house or poles.

I can't see any reason not to use your existing pool pump. PVC can be painted to match the siding making it fairly invisible. Much less trouble.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

They make 10ft and 12ft panels that you could use instead of the 20ft ones. I can't speak of brand differences and quality because I haven't yet purchased solar.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I have 12' Vortex panels, pics in my sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I would look for 3 of the 4'x12.5' panels as that would maximize your exposure given the size of the roof.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

My thought is the same as Jason, get 3 4x12 panels, with this few panels you can get away with using 1.5 inch PVC for all your plumbing, if you use an independent booster pump, you will want to plumb it down stream of your filter as you only want filtered water going through the panels. Pay careful attention to the specs of the pump, particularly its head curve to make sure it will lift enough water up to the panel height, ideal flow is about 5 gpm per 4x12 panel, so 15+ gpm at higher than lift height to account for other sources of back pressure, I would look for a pump that would do over 15 GPM at 25 ft head or higherwhen used as booster pump.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~