High Pressure On DE Filter

Let me start by saying a huge "Thank You"! This is our 3rd year in our new house with a pool, and I have spent a lot of time on this forum learning about the pool, the process, and the problems.

With that being said, I am now encountering an issue this year that I have yet to see resolved anywhere on the forum. If it has been solved, and I just can't find it, then please let me apologize in advance. I have spent many hours looking through the threads, but I'm kind of stumped.

So here it goes...We started opening our pool a week ago. Everything went according to plan, just like the last 2 years. The problem we are having now is that our filter pressure is constantly too high. I understand that when opening the pool the grids will need to be cleaned multiple times. Got it, done it. Our pool is clean, blue, still slightly cloudy, but I can see the bottom. When we first turn on the filter, it runs at 15-16psi (That has been the starting point for the past 3 years). Within 4 hours it's at 20 psi, and still increases. We have back washed (back wash, rinse, back wash, rinse, etc. then recharge DE) and that helps for about an hour or so. We have broken the filter down and cleaned the grids with a garden hose, that helps for a few hours. We have cleaned the grids in a TSP soak for 3 hours and then a muriatic acid soak for 3 hours. That also helped a little...we were able to run the pump for 8 hours before the pressure hit 25 psi. We have inspected the filter grids...no holes, no rips, no tears, and they are in good condition...still pretty white (cream). There was no scaling or calcium buildup on the inside or outside, but we did the chemical clean because that was the only thing I had found that we hadn't tried. My pressure gauge appears to be working correctly, I get "0" pressure during back wash.

I guess my question is this...What am I missing? Anything? Is there something else I should do? Is my next step just to replace the grids? I have seen many people with this issue, but it seems that they find a solution somewhere along the way (not back washing properly, not breaking down the filter to clean it, not doing a chemical clean, etc). I don't want to just go off and buy new grids if that isn't the problem. At this point, I have hit a dead end, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

With cloudy water you are just seeing your filter doing its job. The DE is getting dirty and the pressure goes up. As the water clears you should see longer and longer run times until it is normal.

You are not alone.
I had this issue when I opened my pool earlier this year. I wound up getting new filter grids online for cheap as the old ones were old enough that this made sense to me.
That helped - although I can't say that I have completely gotten rid of the higher than last year PSI readings.
One of the suggestions that I got from that article was to buy the TFP Pressure gauge cause the cheap plastic gauges are not great. also a cheap insurance policy - and something I reccomend you look at - although in my case the old gauge seemed to be working fine. the new gauge is nice and larger and easier to read and a better scale, but that wasnt the problem for me at least.

I also wound up replacing my spider gasket and multiport valve as I had been rotating in two directions when I was going from filter to backwash ( turns out that is a bad idea ) and the spring and handle on the multiport was sun baked almost into oblivion.

Not sure how much any of this helps, but those are the steps I went through opening my pool this year.
Good luck,
Cardano

Yep, the filter is doing it's job, that's all.

Welcome! :wave:

What I'm wondering is why the intervals aren't getting longer. Cloudy water is not generally a filter issue, it's a chemistry issue. You might just be killing algae at the same rate it's growing, so you have a continuous flow of dead bleached algae carcasses loading up the filter that you never seem to get rid of. And you don't, because they just keep reproducing.

What is your normal opening? A megadose of powdered shock?

What are you using to test the water, and what are the readings? It could be something just so simple as insufficient chlorine or overly high or low CYA.

The water has been getting less cloudy every day. I can already see the liner design on the bottom of the pool. I had to do a super shock a few days ago because the pool was not showing chlorine. I had the SWG tested two ways, and it came back fine each time. I have my water tested professionally at the pool store, and it's been perfectly fine for the past 2 days, which is why I expected the pressure to be closer to normal as well. Sadly I didn't keep the readings because there were no issues. I haven't had it tested yet today, but I could get it tested and post actual readings if that will help.

I just tested the water with test strips (not 100% accurate, I know, but they have been generally pretty close) and my stabilizer is a little low. However, if I remember correctly, I can't backwash or anything for a day or two after adding it, correct? My filter won't even make it 4-6 hours without needing a back wash. Could I add it and just recirculate the water? My chlorine will probably tank without running the SWG, huh?

Is it possible that I just need to give it a few more days? Balance the stabilizer and maintain the chlorine? My husband is just ready to buy a new grid, but I want to cover all of our bases before buying something that might not solve the problem.

Thanks again for all your help! This forum is amazing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.