Heat pump plumbing ....

Well I think it depends on your MFG - mine did not require one and I do not have one and it works perfectly.

I think some do it just because if there is an issue it allows you to eliminate the HP.

If I had to do it over, I MIGHT think about it, but quite frankly if my HP blows up and leaks, I have unions that will allow me to quickly re-plumb.

A bypass valve on a heat pump, or any heater for that matter, is generally only needed if the water flow (i.e. GPM) are too high and exceed the rating for the heater. That only is needed if the flow rate is over 80 GPM or so.
A plumbed bypass with PVC and a couple of valves would probably accomplish the same thing. Unless you would want to take the heater offline or the flow rate is too high, you dont really need one. If you didnt have one and the heater needed repairs, you couldnt run the system with the heater out of the loop, however.

I can't imagine what they were doing that would be worth $300. It's 3 ball valves, 2 T's, and less than a foot of pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what the pool guy explained the piping involved in a bypass value is expensive ???

You know at this point between my skimmers pipes collapsing and me trying to fix them myself .....

Regrading my yard with 13 yards of top soil .....

Spreading 7 yards of mulch ....

I just really want my pool to be ready already ....

Time is my biggest enemy, I will have the pool guy install the bypass value, it seems a little expensive but a person who works with me said they wish they would have installed one.

My mantra, "Hot/Warm water by Memorial Day" is in jeopardy. Time to bite the bullet and pay to "Get ER done"

The ones I've seen look like this.
a863965495cc3cf05e27858eedd95a4a.jpg
8ae98e78da4b0147690836bfbbd8e00e.jpg
f21bb6c334dd79a29a6c3fb788693f83.jpg

If you are familiar at all with pvc, you could do it yourself after they install the heater, and save the $300 for other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello all,

I have gotten in my head that the pool chemicals will have an adverse affect on my new heat pump, and that came form all the research I did before buying the heat pump. So my thinking is only run water through the heat pump when it is needed and when the chemicals are at acceptable levels.

Is the chemical portion of my thinking valid ? will a poorly chemically balanced pool mess up your heat pump ?

Thanks

Use a check valve on the return side instead of a valve. It will allow for the water to drain out of the heater so it has no pressure instead that could fool the pressure switch and allow the heater to fire. Of course if it did fire, it would go off on high limit in a short amount of time.

Use a check valve on the return side instead of a valve. It will allow for the water to drain out of the heater so it has no pressure instead that could fool the pressure switch and allow the heater to fire. Of course if it did fire, it would go off on high limit in a short amount of time.

Hi ps0303,

What does this means "it would go off on high limit in a short amount of time" ? and would it damage the heat pump ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.