Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat pump plumbing ....

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat pump plumbing ....

Hello All,

Quick question, when I plumb in my heat pump into the filter/pump system how important is a bypass value for the heat pump ?

Thanks
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Hayward Filter DE2420 - 24 sq ft (I think)
    Hayward pump - Not sure of the model number
    Suffolk, long Island

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat pump plumbing ....

Well I think it depends on your MFG - mine did not require one and I do not have one and it works perfectly.

I think some do it just because if there is an issue it allows you to eliminate the HP.

If I had to do it over, I MIGHT think about it, but quite frankly if my HP blows up and leaks, I have unions that will allow me to quickly re-plumb.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

I put a bypass in, probably not necessary, but why wouldn't you do it?
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by suzook View Post
    I put a bypass in, probably not necessary, but why wouldn't you do it?
    lol .... The price, when I priced it out with the bypass value it added about $300.00 .....

So I was just wondering if it was worth it ....
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Suffolk, long Island

5. Back To Top    #5

A bypass valve on a heat pump, or any heater for that matter, is generally only needed if the water flow (i.e. GPM) are too high and exceed the rating for the heater. That only is needed if the flow rate is over 80 GPM or so.
    A plumbed bypass with PVC and a couple of valves would probably accomplish the same thing. Unless you would want to take the heater offline or the flow rate is too high, you dont really need one. If you didnt have one and the heater needed repairs, you couldnt run the system with the heater out of the loop, however.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat07 View Post
    lol .... The price, when I priced it out with the bypass value it added about $300.00 .....

So I was just wondering if it was worth it ....
    OUCH! I made a bypass with a shutoff valve teed in. About $12.
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by suzook View Post
    OUCH! I made a bypass with a shutoff valve teed in. About $12.
    I can't imagine what they were doing that would be worth $300. It's 3 ball valves, 2 T's, and less than a foot of pipe.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    I can't imagine what they were doing that would be worth $300. It's 3 ball valves, 2 T's, and less than a foot of pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what the pool guy explained the piping involved in a bypass value is expensive ???

You know at this point between my skimmers pipes collapsing and me trying to fix them myself .....

Regrading my yard with 13 yards of top soil .....

Spreading 7 yards of mulch ....

I just really want my pool to be ready already ....

Time is my biggest enemy, I will have the pool guy install the bypass value, it seems a little expensive but a person who works with me said they wish they would have installed one.

My mantra, "Hot/Warm water by Memorial Day" is in jeopardy. Time to bite the bullet and pay to "Get ER done"
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Suffolk, long Island

9. Back To Top    #9

The ones I've seen look like this.

If you are familiar at all with pvc, you could do it yourself after they install the heater, and save the $300 for other stuff.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

If you use the cheaper valves like in the pics you might spend $40-50. Good valves would get you up to $140-150.

11. Back To Top    #11

I hear you about getting the pool done. I was swimming on mothers day in 80 degree water. Don't worry, you will get there.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hello all,

I have gotten in my head that the pool chemicals will have an adverse affect on my new heat pump, and that came form all the research I did before buying the heat pump. So my thinking is only run water through the heat pump when it is needed and when the chemicals are at acceptable levels.

Is the chemical portion of my thinking valid ? will a poorly chemically balanced pool mess up your heat pump ?

Thanks
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Suffolk, long Island

13. Back To Top    #13

Naw, you're overthinking it.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bk406 View Post
    Naw, you're overthinking it.
    LOL .... thanks for the reality check bk406 ...
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Suffolk, long Island

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Use a check valve on the return side instead of a valve. It will allow for the water to drain out of the heater so it has no pressure instead that could fool the pressure switch and allow the heater to fire. Of course if it did fire, it would go off on high limit in a short amount of time.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Use a check valve on the return side instead of a valve. It will allow for the water to drain out of the heater so it has no pressure instead that could fool the pressure switch and allow the heater to fire. Of course if it did fire, it would go off on high limit in a short amount of time.
    Hi ps0303,

What does this means "it would go off on high limit in a short amount of time" ? and would it damage the heat pump ?
    Fatcat07
    In ground pool
    Vinyl Liner
    18 X 36 Pool size
    30,000 Gallons
    Suffolk, long Island

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Sorry. On a gas fired heater.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

On a gas fired heater you should install a pressure relief, and flow switch when installing a bypass w/ isolation valves.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool