Balancing water order

May 6, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Hi,
I'm not sure of the order in which to fix my problems, although I now know enough to know what I need to do.:confused: My results are:

Temp:76
FC: 12.5
CC: 0
TC: 12.5
pH: 7.0
TA: 30
CH: 100
CYA: Test is in the mail ;) (but I know I need to raise it, just don't know by how much)
Borates: 10

We've dialed down our SWG, so the FC will start lowering, especially since our CYA is so low. But we need to raise our pH, TA, and CH. Which should we do first? Second? Last? Checking and adjusting after each, of course.

Thanks for the help!

Eileen

If I haven't said so then Welcome! :wave:

pH first. Washing Soda or Borax until you have a stable mid 7's pH. Add, circulate for an hour at least after fully dissolved and re-test.

Do that first, and post back when you know it's good. Don't hesitate with questions in the meantime if you have any. Glad to help.

If I haven't said so then Welcome! :wave:

pH first. Washing Soda or Borax until you have a stable mid 7's pH. Add, circulate for an hour at least after fully dissolved and re-test.

Do that first, and post back when you know it's good. Don't hesitate with questions in the meantime if you have any. Glad to help.

Thanks for the welcome!

Well, we were a bit heavy handed with the borax. Our pH is now up to 8, but our TA is also up to 40. My husband is aerating, but I think that will lower TA not pH (he doesn't like to listen to me <sigh>). Should we add some muriatic acid?

Oops!!! :oops:

Yes, you have to be careful or you wind up on a roller coaster. Aerating raises pH, and doesn't lower TA. Lowering pH and Aerating to raise it back up is part of that lowering TA process, but it doesn't do it on it's own.

So now, let's be extremely careful and add just enough MA to get back to mid 7s. Do not over do it, because with 40 TA there is little to buffer the acid. With that being the case, you can go acidic again pretty easily. Do it in steps, and under dose each time. If you don't know it, run a TA on your fill water and post back with that too. You're going to need some TA adjusting as well, and that's a good number to know about.

No heavy handed additions...promise? :lol:

OK, things are getting better.

FC: 12 (coming down slowly - is it okay to swim at this level?)
CC: 0
TC: 12
pH: 7.6
TA: 50
CH: 100
CYA: ?
Borates: low

I'm still waiting for my new chemicals to arrive to test my CYA, which I know is low since we've added water through the winter. Same for borates, but I know to wait until everything else is right before adding that. Adjusting CH next?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.