Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing water order

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing water order

Hi,
    I'm not sure of the order in which to fix my problems, although I now know enough to know what I need to do. My results are:

Temp:76
    FC: 12.5
    CC: 0
    TC: 12.5
    pH: 7.0
    TA: 30
    CH: 100
    CYA: Test is in the mail (but I know I need to raise it, just don't know by how much)
    Borates: 10

We've dialed down our SWG, so the FC will start lowering, especially since our CYA is so low. But we need to raise our pH, TA, and CH. Which should we do first? Second? Last? Checking and adjusting after each, of course.

Thanks for the help!

Eileen
    18K gal 15x35 IG fiberglass w/waterfall & 2 deck jets, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 SWG, Polaris 9450 Sport robot, Pentair Rainbow Automatic Chlorine Feeder (for winter), built 4/14, Taylor K-2005 + FAS/DPD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balancing water order

If I haven't said so then Welcome!

pH first. Washing Soda or Borax until you have a stable mid 7's pH. Add, circulate for an hour at least after fully dissolved and re-test.

Do that first, and post back when you know it's good. Don't hesitate with questions in the meantime if you have any. Glad to help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

Work on that PH first as Patrick suggests. When you get your CYA test results raise that accordingly.

Here are some Pool School articles to read in case you missed them.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here is the Water Balance for your SWCG pool.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    If I haven't said so then Welcome!

pH first. Washing Soda or Borax until you have a stable mid 7's pH. Add, circulate for an hour at least after fully dissolved and re-test.

Do that first, and post back when you know it's good. Don't hesitate with questions in the meantime if you have any. Glad to help.

Thanks for the welcome!

Well, we were a bit heavy handed with the borax. Our pH is now up to 8, but our TA is also up to 40. My husband is aerating, but I think that will lower TA not pH (he doesn't like to listen to me <sigh>). Should we add some muriatic acid?
    18K gal 15x35 IG fiberglass w/waterfall & 2 deck jets, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 SWG, Polaris 9450 Sport robot, Pentair Rainbow Automatic Chlorine Feeder (for winter), built 4/14, Taylor K-2005 + FAS/DPD

5. Back To Top    #5

Oops!!!

Yes, you have to be careful or you wind up on a roller coaster. Aerating raises pH, and doesn't lower TA. Lowering pH and Aerating to raise it back up is part of that lowering TA process, but it doesn't do it on it's own.

So now, let's be extremely careful and add just enough MA to get back to mid 7s. Do not over do it, because with 40 TA there is little to buffer the acid. With that being the case, you can go acidic again pretty easily. Do it in steps, and under dose each time. If you don't know it, run a TA on your fill water and post back with that too. You're going to need some TA adjusting as well, and that's a good number to know about.

No heavy handed additions...promise?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

6. Back To Top    #6

No more heavy handed additions! We added some MA and turned off the jets/waterfall. Waiting to check again.

Thanks so much for your help--LOVE the site!

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't mention it...Me too
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, things are getting better.

FC: 12 (coming down slowly - is it okay to swim at this level?)
    CC: 0
    TC: 12
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 50
    CH: 100
    CYA: ?
    Borates: low

I'm still waiting for my new chemicals to arrive to test my CYA, which I know is low since we've added water through the winter. Same for borates, but I know to wait until everything else is right before adding that. Adjusting CH next?