Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clogged Skimmer Line

1. Back To Top    #1

Clogged Skimmer Line

I was vacuuming and clogged my skimmer line. I tried putting a hose wrapped with a towel in the pump end and built up pressure but it didn't work. I've heard some people use a drain king but I dont think I can get that into the line. Any other ideas?

PVC lines
    Gunite. 14,869 Gallons. Hayward cartridge filter. Hayward Super Pump 1HP. Chlorine.
    Baltimore, MD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clogged Skimmer Line

Quote Originally Posted by RSAnative View Post
    I was vacuuming and clogged my skimmer line. I tried putting a hose wrapped with a towel in the pump end and built up pressure but it didn't work. I've heard some people use a drain king but I dont think I can get that into the line. Any other ideas?

PVC lines
    Blowing it backwards is the best thing, but if you can't get in there, then try a plumber's snake from the skimmer end. OR, if you have a wet-n-dry shop vacuum and can get a good seal between the end of the vacuum hose and the skimmer hole, try sucking backwards.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Often building pressure and then running the pump over and over will eventually work it loose. Do you know what the clog is?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure what it is. Possible twigs? I've heard plumber's snake can damage the line? I will give the wet-dry vac a try.
    Gunite. 14,869 Gallons. Hayward cartridge filter. Hayward Super Pump 1HP. Chlorine.
    Baltimore, MD